I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding checks?
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.rasserver.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 02:18PM

What is the main purpose of winding checks? What will or can happen if they are not used on a bass rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding checks?
Posted by: Ray Alston (---.duda.com)
Date: November 17, 2003 02:21PM

They're just for looks..........If you've done a good fit job on your foregrip they aren't necessary. Just a personal thing.......

Ray

Posted by: Steve Daley (---.frsrc101.mi.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 02:44PM

winding checks, as i see them, are an oops item. In my experience, if all goes right you don't really need them at all. Some people like to use them as a decorative peice. Basically, if the cork or handle is not bored perfectly to the diameter of the blank, there is a gap that is not desirable where the front of the cork is. That is what a winding check is used to cover up. For my lighter fly rods, winding checks are basically needed because I have a hard time finding cork that is a smaller diameter than the blanks.

these are just my opinions, maybe some other people on the site have different opinions.

steve

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-58-59rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 04:46PM

while winding checks are a functional item i feel that they provide a nice visual transition between the hardware of the rod and the cork handle. i think they add a nice visual element in our "composition".
i think most will agree that rod building can be a form of visual expression. it is both art and craft. the craft is the ability to create a highly functional fishing instrument. the art is in the individual expression that differentiates one persons creation from another. if you look at the photo section it is obvious that this expression goes far beyond any functional requirement. look at the winding checks and thread work of a mark janeck (and many others) and you will see what i mean. making these instruments in a unique way not only provides a form of expression for the maker but it elevates the spirit of the user.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-58-59rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 17, 2003 04:58PM

oops, meant to say they are NOT a functional item.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster