I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Setting up classes
Posted by: Mike Barkley (136.181.195.---)
Date: November 13, 2003 01:50PM

I'd like some input from you guys that conduct rod building classes. I have been aked several times to organize and conduct classes for a sprting goods store and for Boy Scout groups. How do you go about it. What size do you set your classes? How long are the classes? How many days/nights are they spread acrossWhat do you use for wrapping jigs? Drying. Do you have everyone build identical rods? It would seem that you need enough room available to allow for epoxy drying overnight. This would be a problem if classes were once a week such as with scouts or students

I guess I just don't understand the logistics of such a project.
Any help/ideas would be appreciated

Also how do you go about pricing a class (Obvioualy for Scouts, kids, etc., there would be no charge involved

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Setting up classes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.168.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 13, 2003 02:40PM

When I was teaching classes out of my shop, I would limit the number of students to 6. Just 4 was even better. The classes ran one night per week. The first night we discussed some basics, talked about rod spine and general blank dynamics. Nothing too technical, nothing beyond what they would need to know to build a very functional rod. Then we spined our rods and built our handles. A brief discussion on adhesives was included.

The second week we'd discuss the why and how of guide spacing. Each student would set up his guide spacing and one by one we'd run a static distribution test on it, looking for what was wrong and what was right. Afterwards, we began prepping our guide feet through the use of files and fine crocus cloth. Then we began wrapping. Students were encourage to take their rods home and work on wrapping more guides as they felt inclined.

The third week we finished our wraps and applied color preserver, if they wanted to use it. We discussed finishes and application and then went to work. We applied finish and after an hour or so the students left and came back anytime from the next day onwards, to pick up their rod.

I charged $75 per student (too cheap, really) and allowed the students to build any type rod they wanted. I allowed them to pre-order their parts from me or they could obtain them elsewhere and bring them to the class.

During the class, while waiting on our grips and handles to set, I gave a demo on cork and EVA turning as well as simple decorative cross wrapping.

This may or may not be the best method for you. If I was giving a Boy Scout type class I might arrange to buy all the supplies beforehand and lock everyone into the same type rod. This would speed the process and keep everyone on the same field.

Neal's Fishing Products has some very inexpensive blanks that are extremely suitable for classes where you aren't really trying to make any money, but just provide a service for a group or club. I'm sure others have similar products that would be fine as well. I only mention Neal as I've seen these blanks and know what they sell for. If you're donating the time and the parts, these are a good choice. If you're charging for your parts, then most anything is fine.

Posted by: James Mihm (---.gambrl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 13, 2003 04:32PM

I do not give rod building classes but I teach hands-on-science classes to middle school kids. I limit my class size to 14 but that might be too many for rod building. I think the most important thing that you must consider when dealing with boy scout aged kids is what materials and tools they will have in their hands. I am sure they will all be good, responcible kids but they will come up with alternative uses for things that you can't even begin to imagine, some not the best of ideas. I don't know what your liability would be concerning the saftey of the class but I would have at least one additional adult in the classroom per 4 students. I have 2 assistants that float around the room keeping the kids on task and preventing accidents, could not do the classes with them. This would be especially true when epoxyies were being used for the reel seat/grip. I can imagine the glue on the fingers then the eye itches and then glue in the eye. In my science classes I have seen just about every chemical we give them make it way into someones eye or mouth, even with protective eye goggles. Be prepared to deal with these types ot things with a well thought out plan of action for these potential accidents.
This sounds like a great idea for the boy scouts, I find it very rewarding to work with the kids. Good luck

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2003 07:08PM

You have some of the best suggestions posted already. I've dealt with kids mostly and I try to limit the size to 5 to 1. I have them all build the same rod if possible and pretty much handle the class as Tom described. Unexpected problems are frequent. The last class I did was during a NYS sponsored summer camp. The camp was quarentined and then closed due to a bad flu epidemic. That left us with a whole lot of finishing work and shipping to take care of for the students. Interesting just the same. If you have any questions, drop me an email. Best of luck to you!
Ray

Posted by: John T. White (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 13, 2003 07:28PM

I have taught two fly rod building classes for my local TU group. What I did was to keep things very simple. I bought a copy of the book by Flex Coat called Fly Rod Building Made Easy and used that as my sylabus for the class. We worked right out of the book and I was there to help everyone get a grasp on the parts fitting and wrapping portions. It worked very well. Simple but effective. Keep it in mind. Simple is better for most beginners.

Posted by: Jeff Brinn (---.hkry.nc.charter.com)
Date: November 13, 2003 08:05PM

I've done some basic classes for the scout troop I'm active with, the smaller the class the better and don't plan on more than 1 hour at a time. Also works well if you can figure out which kids are interested and those that are just along with the crowd and have something alternate for the "just along " boys.

I did a demostation once and then let the ones that wanted to learn more ask for classes and that worked real well. My son is 12 and on his third rod. With him I never offered, I waited for him to express an interest and he's been at it ever since.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 13, 2003 08:50PM

I work with Boy Scout troops and have taught as many as 35 kids in several sittings. As a Eagle Scout myself, I meet at were they meet and its great to work with them and see the shy ones produce good looking rods. The first meeting with the boys I share with them how a blank is made and I even have a mandrel. Given this is a new learning experience for the boys and leaders I show them the tools that I use for building a fishing rod. I then show them how to make a wrapping machine motorless. Tell them you can make one for under $10. Most everyone that works with wood has scrap pieces laying around in there shop and with a few bolts, gromets, spring and eyelets you have a very inexpensive wrapping table. The biggest problem with Boy Scout Troops is they don't have enough machines to go around and that is the reason it takes so long for them to complete a fishing rod. I sell them kits that are the same kind of rod. I also don't let them do 4 pc rods as it takes them a month to build a 2pc rod as you know with kids they either forget there items or loose them during the week so then I always have extra items on hand. Then I invite the boys over to my shop to coat there rods.
Good Wrapping,
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products

Posted by: Ron Walter (---.inwave.com)
Date: November 13, 2003 09:38PM

When I was a scoutmaster with very young scouts we had a rod wrapping program rather than a rod building class. Each boy brought in an old rod from home. I had picked up some from garage sales also for those who forgot or didn't have one.
The first week we cut off the old guides, took off the tip and cleaned up the cork handle with steel wool and soap and water. We used scotchbrite pads to clean the blank.
The next week we taped new guides in the correct place using Clemens old method of X, X+1, X+2, X+3 etc. and glued on a tip.
The third week we started wrapping the guides using a cup, a couple of church hymnals and a shoe box with "V" notches cut at both ends for a wrapping stand. D sized thread was best for these kids.
The fourth week we finished the guides and put on a simple flat braid butt wrap. They put on color preserver but I put the finish on myself at home.
The next weekend we had a camp-out down by the river and caught bullheads.

If I had older scouts I would have done things differently, but young kids want a finished product done quickly. In my High school classes we start from scratch and do it right.

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.96.211.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 13, 2003 10:55PM

I'm a trainer by profession, and I'm currently teaching an evening rod building class for my company's employees, and will teach another this winter for the Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association. It's quite similar to what Tom Kirkman describes. Class consists of 5 lessons, one evening per week. Our first class meets one month before we start to build. During the first class, I go over the basics of designing and customizing, and at the end of class the students order their rod blanks and components, or kits. Class 2 is finding rod spine and building the handle. Class 3 is prepping and mounting guides, and thread wrapping. Class 4 is mixing and applying rod finish. Class 5 is inscriptions, plus open workshop time. I encourage students to practice wraps and rod finishing in class, but to do the actual wrapping and finishing of their own rods at home (especially the rod finishing, since they can't move the rods once they've applied the epoxy finish to their wraps.) They can either make a cardboard box wrapping stand, purchase one, or build a wooden stand. They either turn the rods by hand, or buy or build a rod drying motor/stands. My current class has 6 people, and that's a good amount. My next class will be 10 students, which includes two father/son duos. I encourage newcomers to order a kit. It takes a lot of the confusion out of the process. My students can build whatever kind of rod they want - the basic skills are the same regardless, and they should build a rod that they will enjoy. To prepare for the class, I bought or built several files and reamers, and bought or solicited stripping/casting and snake guides, plus bought one inexpensive practice blank for each student from Neal's Fishing Products, one of this site's sponsors. Some fellow rodbuilding.org fans sent me guides that they weren't using. Many thanks to them. This way, students can practice wraps and rod finishing before they work on their own rods. If you are teaching the class for an organization, you might want to ask for funding to get started. It cost a few hundred dollars for materials, plus the cost of a rod kit for me to build to demonstrate the skills. However, this is a very comprehensive course, so you might be able to get started with a few files and reamers, your own rod wrapping/turning stand, and have students bring everything else for themselves. Be sure to provide demos and hands-on practice. Merely talking about rod building, and showing a few pieces won't make for a good learning experience for your students.
The course syllabus is on the web site for the CT Fly Fishermen's Assoc:
[www.ctflyfish.org].
Good luck.

Barry Whitehouse
Training and Development Manager
Henkel Corporation
Rocky Hill, CT
Makers of Loctite Adhesives

Date: November 14, 2003 01:55PM

Thanks, Guys, for all of the suggestions. I rea;;y don't consider myself all that knowledeable or experienced but we need to get kinds into the sport as anglers as well as rodbuilders or the sport will eventually dwindle down to us old farts

Mike

Date: November 14, 2003 01:56PM

OOPS! KIDS!!!!!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.31.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 14, 2003 03:21PM

That's a good point. Exposing these kids to rod building means that some of them may well keep at it for many decades to come. The fly fishing industry recognized this many years ago and began promoting their craft to women and children in an effort to bring more fly fishers (and customers) into their sport. They've been extremely successful.

The rod building industry still does not have a trade group nor any active means of promoting rod building to the general angling public.

Posted by: Raymond Mazza (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2003 02:42AM

Great point Tom (as usual). Locally, the largest growth in attendance for angling instruction has been in Fly Fishing and by Women and Pre-Teens. I am planning to target those particular groups in the future with rod building classes. What is everyone else seeing these days? Any data available in your areas ? We have Adult Ed classes held at the Tech Training Center for High School Students and they keep and graciously pass on the data to us. It helps a lot if you have a woman instructor involved and/or a teen. Just my personal experience. I'm glad to see all the interest in teaching classes. I'm always happy to swap my personal experiences and ideas. Always looking for new ideas!!!!
Ray

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (---.0.120.51.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 16, 2003 09:21AM

I think that a big issue rod building faces is lack of awareness. My personal observation is that young people, and those experienced in fishing, but not in fly fishing, develop an interest in learning how to fly fish, and tie flies. Experienced anglers, when they learn that you can build your own rod, get interested in rod building. It's often perceived as an extension of the sport of fishing, and here in the Northeast, a great winter hobby (both rod building and fly tying). I teach rod building at my company, and when employees hear that there's a rod building class, a common response is "That sounds like fun. I didn't know you could build your own fishing rod". Word is spreading about the course, and employees are coming to me asking if they can get in on the next class. I'm teaching another rod building class this winter for the Connecticut Fly Fishermen's Association, (class size is 10), and this class filled up before it was officially announced. There are also now 5 people on the waiting list. I have never seen rod building demonstrated at a fishing show, and I'm disappointed that I can't get to the North Carolina show in February. Hopefully, rod building will be so popular there, that the show will incorporate rod building into all its shows, including their show in the Northeast. So building more awareness about rod building should be a focus, such as giving presentations and demos at Scout meetings, fish and game clubs, fishing shows, etc.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.227.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: November 16, 2003 10:07AM

Well over a year ago I had suggested that if our industry ever formed a trade group, that they invesitgate putting together a slide show or DVD presentation on rod building. Not necessarily something to take people through an actual class, but an overview of the steps involved and what you can achieve by building your own rod. Then, this would be made available at no charge (it would have to be offered at no charge if it were to be successful) to anyone who wished to procure a copy to use at their local TU, FFF, bass club, scout meeting, etc.

By exposing thousands and thousands of fishermen to the very concept of building their own rod, you'd have a certain percentage that would then follow up by buying a book or video on rod building, or maybe attending a rod building class. Naturally they would follow by purchasing supplies to build that first rod. Can you imagine the grass roots movement that could result from such a thing?

Another effect would come from those who watched the program and decided that while they didn't want to build their own rod, they did want to buy a custom rod from someone else who does build them. Thus, more business for current custom rod builders. Everyone wins, including the industry, which sees its sales figures rise.

But we have no organized trade group or association in place to spearhead such a thing. Too bad - it would really make a difference.

I'm hoping we can create several hundred new rod builders in Charlotte, at the same time exposing thousands of fishermen who have never considered buying a custom rod, to the advantages to be had with one. It's certainly a start. We'll just have to see how the industry supports such a thing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster