I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What do you use to cut cork rings
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: December 26, 2001 11:13PM

What do most of you use to cut 1/2 inch wide cork rings to 1/4 inch? I just can't seem to cut them straight.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do you use to cut cork rings
Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: December 26, 2001 11:35PM

Steve: Practice on cheaper grade rings. Use a safety edge razor blade. Mark the ring with a fine point pencil. Do not impress on the cork. Now, using the razor begin a thin cut 1/8 or less deep around the axis of the ring. Dont try to cut through all at once. Keep working around until the blade comes through the hole in the center. Practice makes perfect. Use the cheaper practice rings first. Good luck

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 27, 2001 12:33AM

I got a peace of PVC pipe the same diameter as the corke cut it 1/2 inch long, then measured up the length 1/4 inch and cut it with a hack saw blade about a little over half way. Then I put the corke in tub and use a safty razor to cut the corke as you cut, turn the corke a little at a time. you can cut a corke ring in 20 to 30 sec. and you get a straight even cut
good luck Bob

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 08:39AM

I use masking tape as a stragiht edge, along with a fine tooth hacksaw blade (I think 32TPI or less - got it from a hobby shop over a year ago so all I know is I wanted the finest TPI they had) I have done this and made like 1/8" rings. If I am cutting the last ring of a cork stick I take a flat file (I use a triangular file) and square it off. This will allow the cork to reel seat/butt cap joints have no gaps. I do this on a lathe.

Billy

Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 01:31PM

Steve, I use a table top band saw. No matter what I tried I couldn't get two rings to come out the same. Considering I use the band saw to cut cork rings, EVA foam, wood reel seats etc, it was worth the very small investment considering my time, ruinining of materials, and stress.
Buzz

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: December 27, 2001 02:26PM

For what it's worth: Get a wire with two wooden handles at a craft shop. The Boy Scouts use them. Put tape on a short threaded mandrel, then put on cork ring. Turn on motor, have cork spinning, then hold wire by both handles, press lightly against cork, and it goes down like butter. Accurate too! Hope this is a help. This method can also be used for Hypalon or any foam grip materials.
Sanford Hochman

Posted by: Lee Parsons (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 28, 2001 09:31AM

Now you guys come up with all these easy ways after I went to the trouble of making a little miter box to hold cork rings for cutting.

I use a minerature hack saw that I got at a hobby shop and I made a little miter box to hold my cork rings or grips. One side of the box slides in and out so I can put a small clamp on the two sides and hold the cork firmly in place while cutting. Works nicely for angles too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster