I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loose tip-top
Posted by: Shai Plummer (---.142.popsite.net)
Date: October 27, 2003 03:04AM

I was on a fishing trip this summer with my husband to the north fork of the Lewis river . It was hot , flys were hatchin , and fish were eatin and my husband was catching fish off of dry fly's . I was casting into a particular pool when I realized my tip top was moving all over the place , the darned thing had come loose , at the worst possible of times my fly rod was out of comission . I fiddled with it a bit and it came completely off . I didn't have a lighter or anything else to make a temporary fix with at the time . Thankfully my husband was able to get it on with a snug enough fit so I could fish with it for the rest of the day until we got back to camp . At camp I heated up the tip top and slid it back on to tip of my fly rod , there was enough epoxy left to hold it there . In the morning I was ready to fish again .
My fly rod has had no problems ever since , except just recently on a trip to the Deschutes , I noticed my tip was loose again . How can I fix this ? Does the five minute epoxy have a tendancy to melt in hot weather , or did my rod builder use something else ? What are my alternatives ? Thank you in advance for your advice .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loose tip-top
Posted by: Daren Howard (---.wi.rr.com)
Date: October 27, 2003 05:19AM

More than likely the builder used hot glue to mount the tip top. This is actually a common method of mounting the tip top on lighter rods. You could either use more hot melt glue or use five minute epoxy. The five minute epoxy would probably be fine for a fly rod as the tip top is likely a wire loop (snake) style tip top. I do not recommend it on lighter rods if you have a ceramic tip top as these can be cracked and need replacing. the epoxy mounted tip tops are harder to replace. To use the glue simply buy some of the glue, many tackle shops have it in a tip repair kit, and slice a thin slice off the glue stick. Then, slice this thin round strip into many small strips, fill the tip top with these. Insure that the tip of the rod is clean and heat the tip top to melt the glue then just slide it on the tip of the rod. Be ready with a towel to wipe off excess glue and the repair will be done. Don't get the tip of the rod too hot as this can cause damage. If you feel uneasy about doing this yourself then I recommend you contact a custom rod manufacturer (click on TackleWorks to the left) or somebody who has done this before to get assistance. It is not likely to cost you much at all to get this fixed.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.72.29.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: October 27, 2003 07:44AM

I would bring it back to the builder and have him clean it and glue it with " 5 minute " epoxy! In hot weather that glue stick stuff gets soft and that is what happens! You will have no problems with 5 min.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (68.161.189.---)
Date: October 27, 2003 08:33AM

I've had 2 of my tip tops loosen the past month? And I use 5-minute epoxy, and I do extremely lightly sand the tip area (like 1 pass with scotchbrite around the blank) I think I need to clean the inside of the tip better, or use more than a drop of glue. I hesitate to load the tip top with epoxy because I rather teh epoxy bond break before the tip of my rod (in case of something "odd" happeneing, like the tip top gets stuck in a pile of rods and I'm yanking it to get it free - odd)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.75.72.29.Dial1.Weehawken.Level3.net)
Date: October 27, 2003 08:49AM

I take a pin and bend it just slightly to scratch the inside of the tube of the tip top. I then take the pin and put glue on it and insert it into the top to make sure there is enough in it

Posted by: Barry Whitehouse (63.81.122.---)
Date: October 27, 2003 01:40PM

Carry a small tube of cyanoacrylate (super glue - a.k.a. CA) on your fishing trips. If your tip guide loosens, pull it off, clean the rod tip and inside the tip guide as well as possible, and put a drop of CA on the rod tip. Position the guide, and in 1 minute you're ready to go.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (69.26.69.---)
Date: October 27, 2003 02:56PM

It's handy to carry Flex Coat Tip Top thermal adhesive while in the field in your tackle, a cigarrette lighter....it's a quick and fairly permanent fix anyone can do to reattach the tip top.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Shai Plummer (---.142.popsite.net)
Date: October 28, 2003 05:12PM

thanx for the info guys , I bought the five minute epoxy and put my tip back on with that , not too clean of a job but I'm sure I'll get more practice in the future :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster