I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide nomenclature
Posted by: Ron Walter (---.inwave.com)
Date: October 19, 2003 02:10PM

The nomenclature for the wide selection of guides available is extremely confusing and seems to vary widely from company to company. Is there a place that students could use to easily identify the various "codes" that companies use so a person could compare "apples to apples"? I went to fujitackle.com and printed 13 pages of their product. I went to a place called seaisle-tackle.com and they list 23 Fuji guide types that they carry from BHNNG to DBSG/WDBSG!!! When a young new builder or an old foggie like me sees this, it is quite overwhelming. How can a person find what the individual letters mean? This is only Fuji. How can a person compare one guide to another? How can a person compare guides from one manufacturer to another? This seems like a article for Rod Maker Magazine.
I know experts in all fields have developed have developed codes for talking with their peers. In education it is EEN, CD, AP, ADD, ED, PHD, but mostly ends up with @#$%&! Computer guros have their own vocabulary. Doctors and pharmacists also talk in code. When educators talk with parents we have to break through this barrier and talk in understandable terms. How would you break through this code barrier with a rod customer or a novice builder?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide nomenclature
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.82.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 19, 2003 04:31PM

Each company has their own nomenclature for their respective line of guides. RodMaker certainly can't force them to adopt a universal standard language for guide types and styles (although such would be very nice). We do have some universal language, however - SIC is silicon carbide, AL is aluminum oxide, etc., but each manufacturer goes one step further and renames the guides based on their individual frame styles and colors.

As far as an article on this sort of thing, I suppose it would be nice to have all the "translations" for these guides in one place. But most of the component manufacturers do not communicate with RodMaker in any way. (I'm afraid I'd have to go dig up all the info on my own and would wind up inadvertently leaving someone out which would then result in the usual hard feelings or accusations of bias.) I'm usually the last to know about any new products they may produce or offer. Quite often, I have to scrounge for items to put in our New Products Column. It's free, but most won't even take advantage of the free press available to them.

Don't ask me why - I've always found the rod building industry to be about the most backwards industry I've ever been involved with. Very little of what they do has ever made any real sense to me. It's almost as if they don't want any new business. Go figure.

Having said all that, about all I can suggest is to get a copy of the various manufacturers' catalogs and dive in. Keep them on hand for reference. You'll need it.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster