I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

opinions wanted
Posted by: Paul Abbott (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 10:13AM

I am looking for some opinions. I plan to build a 6' 2wt. fly rod. I am sold on ceramic single foot guides on fly rods but just can't see them on a light 2wt. rod like this. I need to decide between the ceramics or single foot wire guides. Let's hear what you all think.
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: opinions wanted
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.85.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 10:25AM

I always use ceramics. They never wear out, weigh almost nothing (use the smallest ones you can get by with) they're "quiet" and your line pays out much more smoothly. This latter item could be important when fishing very light tippets against larger fish.

But if you were to use the wire type, I doubt you'd find too much in the way of significant drawbacks.

Posted by: Jeff Fultz - Platte River Rods (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 10:30AM

I use as small as #5 single foot ceramics on light rods (2-3 wt's) and find them to be as light as single foot wire guides, but far superior in performance.

Posted by: Terry Henson (---.arcdca.adelphia.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 11:13AM

Might even be lighter that the wire guides because epoxy is on one foot only. I perfer the snake guides, but I am venturing out to the single foot guides to see what all the fuss is about.

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 01:11PM

Paul,

I've always used single foot wire on 2 wt rods and rods under 7' and 4 wt. Normally I use the TiCH Pac Bay. However, I just got to see a rod that had recoil guides and they will certainly be on my next light rod. They seem lighter than standard wire, thinner wire overall, and they are flexible. I really like them.

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.PHNDAZ91.covad.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 02:23PM

Paul,
I have to agree with Tom Kirkman I like the ceramic guides over the wire ones. alot more smoother cast. And I have to agree with Jeff Fultz on the size you want to use.
Good Fishing,
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.gswa.com)
Date: October 14, 2003 05:19PM

I like ceramics in rods 4 wt. and over and single foot wire in 2-3 wts. Not scientific, just my preference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster