I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

o'quinn's / forhan's spiral methods
Posted by: arvin reyes (---.med.navy.mil)
Date: October 14, 2003 01:45PM

i just wrapped my first spiral wrap rod last night. tested it out with line through to see if any rub occured and was all good. no rubs. i believe i am using the O'quinn method as it is 0-45-90-135-180 degrees in transition. i tried a search and looked it up on the internet but couldnt find enough info or even a pic. i figured out the layout off the top of my head without even doing any research (experimentation). i figured if there's no line rub then i must have it right.

well what i wanted to know was what's the diff between the o'quinn and the forhan methods? and does anybody have pictures of the two that i can compare? much appreciated.

also, i noticed that there tends to be a lot of guides used in the spiral wrap method. for a 7ft casting rod what is the usual number of guides used? the one i wrapped last night has 9 including tip.

ill be testing the rod out soon and if i really like it im taking all my rods apart and re-wrapping them spirally! hahaha.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: o'quinn's / forhan's spiral methods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.35.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 02:05PM

No, that won't be the O'Quinn method. There are no set postions or axis locations for guides with the O'Quinn method - the line path determines such.

The new issue of RodMaker has an overview of all the popular spiral wrap methods. You should have it any day and can review the various methods and perhaps see if you have the one that's best for your particular application.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: October 14, 2003 02:16PM

Arvin; Ralph offsets his stripper about 45 degrees to the left as I recall. This will give you a straighter line path. You can however start with the first guide at zero and some people say that it is better that way when using a levelwind reel because they have a tendency to pile line more to one side when using an offset method. I don't know if that is true. I have wrapped using both methods and haven't had that problem with either method. I do however prefer the O'Quinn way.

Date: October 14, 2003 03:07PM

tom:
sorry to say, i just now subscribed to rodmaker magazine. since i just sent in the subscription (through internet) will i be receiving the issue with the articles you were talking about or will i have to order a back issue?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.204.179.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: October 14, 2003 03:21PM

You'll get the new issue in about a week.

The Forhan Revolver style spiral is based on one of the early system where the guides were located at 0 - 60 - 120 and 180 degrees and over a reasonably short distance. Rich likes to offset his 0 and 180 degree guides by just enough so that the line itself is on the 0 and 180 degree axis.

Date: October 14, 2003 05:25PM

hmm interesting. i did notice that the rotating guides mentioned in various posts were over a fairly short distance. what i did was just measure out the usual guide spacing that i would normally do on a rod that long and that action, and then upon guide placement, just rotated them to their positions. and being a 5 guide transition from 0-180, it left me with just the last four guides to run with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster