I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lessons on finish?
Posted by: steve walters (---.jci.com)
Date: December 20, 2001 03:32PM

OK, I hit the archives and determined that I'm being cheap by mixing up too small amounts, lesson learned. I have a rod with tacky finish. Can I recoat over the tack? What do I do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lessons on finish?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt2.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 03:34PM

Yes, you can recoat with a mix that has been properly measured and mixed. It will set up and should fix your problem. Go easy, just put a light application on but do make sure you get everything covered.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 04:29PM

do your self a big favor get your self some syringes you can mix up small amounts , so u have less waste also save your mixing cup so you can check the cureing with out touching the finish itself hope this helps ....Tightline Rod's ..... John T Burford

Posted by: Elrod (Jon Jenkins) (150.199.191.---)
Date: December 20, 2001 04:40PM

Also, another tip on mixing is once mixed, pour onto flat piece of foil or parchment paper. This gives you a little longer pot life and aids in dissipating the bubbles.

How tacky?
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.9.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: December 20, 2001 06:06PM

How tacky is it and what type of rod?

Re: How tacky?
Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 21, 2001 05:01AM

I would also put the 2 bottles of epoxy in warm water that well help the 2 mixes to mix much better
Good luck Bob

Posted by: steve walters (---.jci.com)
Date: December 21, 2001 08:10AM

The rod is a medium salt water casting. I have been heating the bottles in warm water and kept the mixed portion in a shallow bowl of warm water to keep out bubbles. I also use the syringes but have found with the bottles of flex coat I have, if I don't mix in extra hardener that they won't cure. I mixed that one half and half and it didn't cure. I've made six rods with this batch of flex and never mixed more than 2cc of each but I've always used more hardener??????

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 21, 2001 08:41AM

Steve
Steve

When you say "never mix more than 2cc of each", that is probably the problem right there. I use Flex Coat High Build, and have since the late 1980's. The less amount of epoxy you mix at one time, the harder it is to get the proper 1 to 1 ratio correct. I use syringes, but I always mix ALOT more than I could possibly use at one time. Given the relative cost of the Flex Coat to the price of the whole rod, I gladly waste some of the epoxy. I believe that CONSISTENCY in your procedure is very important. I mix atleast 4cc of each part, taking great care to be accurate. I fold the two parts together for about the same amount of time. I can see the chemical reation as it clouds, and then starts to clear. I do all my epoxy work in a room in my house, heated in winter, air conditioned in summer. I apply it the same way each time. When I feel it start to thicken, I finish the wrap I am doing, stop, and mix a fresh batch. I always keep the mixing cup I just used, so I can check for hardness 24 hrs. later. I flame the epoxy with a butane cigar tourch. I do it this way every time. I never have a problem with curing or bubbles. I throw alot of epoxy away, but it is worth it to me.

Bill Doherty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster