I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank with 2 spines
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: July 06, 2001 05:58PM

I've got a G-USA blank with 2 spines. They seem to be equal. Anyway I turn the blank either of the two spines will turn up and they seem to be 180 degrees from each other. So, I reckon it doesn't matter which spine I build on as long as they're equal right?

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank with 2 spines
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 06, 2001 08:42PM

If they're really equal which they probably aren't. Put the butt on a marble and press straight down on the tip. It should flex along the same plane each time now and that will be the effective spine. Don't remember where I got that tip but that's how I spine all my blanks now and it works really well.

Posted by: George Kalhust (---.tnt1.lafayette.in.da.uu.net)
Date: July 07, 2001 02:28AM

The use of Don Morton's vertical spine finder should also indicate the effective spine just as Russell's marble.

What you have discovered, in what you call two spines exactly opposite each other, is the condition that Don Morton looks for to build his high performance rods.

Date: July 07, 2001 01:17PM

I did the marble trick like Russell said and it worked great because the two spines were not equal. It did come around every time to one of the spines I marked. I used a marble on the bottom and a shot glass to press down on the tip. When I tried to spine the blank by rolling in my hand and pressing down on it, it seemed to jump to two spines. Now that I know where the real spine is, it is time to do that spiral wrap. Thanks for the tip Russell.

Steve

Posted by: Don Morton (---.localaccess.net)
Date: July 07, 2001 07:33PM

Steve you have what I think is the best of blanks, because it will flex forward or back with no torque. A tip for your spiral. Put your rod back on the marble and bend it to about 90 degrees. Have some one hold it in that position or mount your shot glass where it will keep your rod bent then place your fingers on the blank about 1/2 way down the rod and turn it from one spine to the other. Most likely you will feel one side will snap and the other side will feel more round. If you spiral your guides to the side that feels round the rod will tend to balance with more of a snap on each side.

A couple of other points. The line should only touch the top or bottom of the guide in any fishing position. The line should form as small an angle as possible as it passes through the guides. Stress test the rod by flexing it to every position you will encounter while fishing. NEVER more than 90 degrees, as this will not put any pressure on the fish and will hairpin your rod,"Crack"

Take you time and build this one right and you will have your "go to rod".

Good Fishing.

Date: July 08, 2001 12:22AM

Thanks for the tips Don. What you mentioned about the blank snapping to one spine and the other feeling kinda round is exactly what I found in the blank. Now I'm even more anxious to get this rod built after the info you gave me.

Thanks Don,
Steve

Posted by: Sang (---.east.saic.com)
Date: July 19, 2001 02:25PM

Every GUSA that I've built has had the double spine, 180 degrees apart with one being slightly stronger than the other. I believe that it's due to their manufacturing process, the double opposing helix. Not only does it give their blanks tremendous hoop strength, it also gives them perfect structure in terms of loading without torque in casting and lifting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster