I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hardaloy vs. silicon carbide
Posted by: james jancek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2003 08:18PM

Is there a noticeable difference between hardaloy and silicon carbide as far as casting distance?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hardaloy vs. silicon carbide
Posted by: Larry Michaels (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2003 08:30PM

I believe there is. Harloy is rough in my opinion and can cost you a few feet. I know that I won't use them on saltwater rods. Too abrasive. The new Alconites are much better but SIC is still king!

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (---.columbus.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2003 08:43PM

Not in my opinion.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 11, 2003 10:41PM

I think so on a fly rod. Both the weight and the roughness of the guides enter into the distance problem.

Posted by: Robert Hively (---.sprint-rev.hbci.com)
Date: August 12, 2003 06:34AM

Get a glass and check the guides at 10x.

For practical fishing, it makes little difference, as most people won't fish enough (cast) over 10 years to make a difference.

Moreover, many people still prefer snakes and if anything will wear rough, they will.

Hardloy is improvement, Alconite is better. Whatever gets the line there ... I now use Alconites for TTs, however.

Might want to look at guide set at butt end for distance improvement...

R

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 12, 2003 10:23AM

It is storming here and I can not fish and I am out of components so board here I come!

I love the words "I think" and "I believe" when responding to a technical question. Seems like to me that the designers of fishing guides and the internal rings would have an idea of the roughness, hardness and the coefficient of liner friction for different rings and lines under normal casting loads.

I wonder from time to time even if the descriptive phrases and words like Hardaloy and silicon carbide have any cross over consistancy from one manufacturer to the next. At this point in time I honestly believe that components are just like blanks - no common standards. Most large market businesses most are required to meet specific standards. I have an idea the the rod building business is larger than most believe and it has been allowed to "fly under the radar" from a testing and control standpoint.

When people want to sell more products they typically list the "features" of the product. If a customer presents an attitude of skeptism then the seller is required to present a "proof source" that is acceptable to the buyer. I see plenty of "feature" listings for components but have seen absolutely no "proof source" material. There are standard ways to perform these tests and the only thing presently missing is an acceptable, i.e. no propietary bias, organizational structure and the funding to complete the required tests.

Since Tom Kirkman has absolutely nothing to do in his spare time, I nomimate him to head up this independent testing laborarory. I propose matching funds from the component manufacturers with a Federal Grant. If the demise of the sand darter, in the sands of Florida, can get approved I would think this would be an easy target the powerful rodbuilder's lobby.

Have a nice day!

Messn Rown!

Posted by: Joe Meehan (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: August 12, 2003 05:47PM

Hi Jim,

You will get less friction with an SIC guide. How much does it affect casting distance? I'm not sure. Will it be noticeable? I don't know. I'm not aware of any definitive study on it. I wish there was one.

Logic would dictate less friction would mean longer casts. There is only one way to find out and do your own test.

The important thing is line wear and tear which is vital. SiC will extend line life and will reduce breakage. How many lures are lost on a good day of fishing due to line wear? That is expensive. That is why spending the extra money for a SiC or Titanium Nitride/Zirconia ring is the smart thing to do.

Warmest regards, Joe Meehan, American Tackle Co.

Posted by: Tom Juter (200.12.238.---)
Date: August 12, 2003 09:11PM

I'm going to take a stab here and suggest that the following affect casting distance, in order of importance (for a given lure weight):

1) Rod length
2) Rod design (action, etc.)
3) Line type
4) Technique
5) Lure design
15) Number/placement of guides
20) Kinds of guides

So, in my opinion, there is no "noticeable difference" in casting distance. However, as others have pointed out, there are other factors besides casting distance that argue in favor of SiC over hardalloy (which is why they cost more!!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster