I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

IMX/GL3
Posted by: Clyde Trainor (---.rockymountains.net)
Date: July 05, 2003 07:36PM

I need to know your exp. in using IMX rather than GL3. Is IMX something special or hype and more $. I've built many many GLX and a number of GL3 rods. Loomis is my choice of blank but now am confused as to any significant difference other than 3 piece vs 2 piece in choosing between the two. I can read tech. info all day but I want experienced folks to comment on any significant differences.
Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: IMX/GL3
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 05, 2003 09:25PM

I've used many of both. In my opinion the IMX has always been a bit lighter and crisper. I like the GL3 and think it's a great blank for the money, but prefer the little bit of extra performance the IMX offers.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 05, 2003 11:11PM

I think that "lighter and crisper" define the difference well. Over the years I have come to favor the IMX over the GL3 but the GL3 may suit others depending on personal style and use.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: July 06, 2003 10:23AM

Clyde,
Loomis has been changing some of the materials that they construct their blanks from recently. I believe that it is because they have been having manufacturing problems and have been having a difficult time building blanks that are straight. Many of the blanks that I have seen recently, particularly the IMX have been very crooked.
The main difference between the G. Loomis IMX and GL3 was the scrim. The GL3 had glass scrim while the IMX had graphite scrim.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 06, 2003 12:53PM

Emory is right about the present IMX (SLATE) blanks. The ones I have tried certainly could have been straighter. My fishing experience is mainly with the earlier two piece models. I have only Common Cents tested two of the recent models and they tested a bit faster than the early models and as factory labeled 6#'s they test to be better labeled as 7#'s

Posted by: Tom Hartman (---.atw.pa.webcache.rcn.net)
Date: July 07, 2003 09:15PM

I agree with Bill's assessment.
I have an 8 and 10 wt. that I built in both models.
They are both fine rods but the IMX is crisper than the GL3.
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster