I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Capacitity of Fuji thread
Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: July 08, 2024 02:42PM

With a 100M spool of Fuji UltraPoly size A thread, about how many rods can the whole spool wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Capacitity of Fuji thread
Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: July 08, 2024 04:28PM

Ryan,

Capacitity? Are you wrapping rods or mermaids? :-)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 08, 2024 04:43PM

Depends on the rods, but it is very many. Also depends on how much you waste, which is an individual thing that we cannot predict.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 08, 2024 06:11PM

Haven't bought spools that small in a longtime, I usually buy 1 oz. or larger spools depending on the color and whether it's trim or base thread I expect to use a lot. Both are much more cost effective. I'll never use all the black and garnet I have, though they are my favorite colors. The rods I build I would probably get nine of ten rods easy enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2024 06:12PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.29.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 08, 2024 09:11PM

There are several factors that go into this. First, I'd say the diameter of the blank comes into play. A surf rod will take more thread than a fly rod. Second, How far past the guide foot are you planning on going with the thread? Third, Will you be installing a hook keeper or any measure of a butt wrap. I'm sure there are several other factors that come into play but that is the three that jump out at me.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 14, 2024 07:12PM

Mark Hahn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are several factors that go into this.
> First, I'd say the diameter of the blank comes
> into play. A surf rod will take more thread than
> a fly rod. Second, How far past the guide foot
> are you planning on going with the thread? Third,
> Will you be installing a hook keeper or any
> measure of a butt wrap. I'm sure there are
> several other factors that come into play but that
> is the three that jump out at me.

Also, how long all of the extra thread you have in front of the guide feet, which is only decorative and do not hold the guides. Size of the guides and Butt wraps. As said previously, more economical to buy 1oz or larger spools IF you are going to use them. When I have ordered thread, I always order extra colors I like and will use on other rods, which saves on shipping costs. same for guides.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 20, 2024 09:58AM

Ryan,
Not a bad idea to use a spell checker.

For the word you used, here is the definition:

Maximum Capacititty

Urban Dictionary
[www.urbandictionary.com] › define › term=Maxi...
The maximum amount of milk your breasts can hold.

Careful what you write. The results may surprise you.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2024 03:55PM

This should give a good approximation of the length of thread required for any rod

(WL) = Wrap length for each location. How long will each wrap be.
(DM) = Diameter of the blank at the mid point of each wrap location.
(CB) = Circumference of the blank at each wrap location.
(TD) = Thread diameter.
(NT) = Number of turns for each wrap.
(LT) = Length of thread for each wrap.
(TOTL) = Total length of thread required for the rod

1) Determine and record how long (WL) each wrap will be.

2) Measure and record the diameter of the blank (DM) at the mid point of each wrap location,

3) Calculate and record the circumference (CB) of the blank for each wrap location. The circumference (CB) is Pi (3.141) times the diameter (DM) at each location.
This will be the length of thread for one turn of wrap at that location…….. CB = 3.141 x DM

4) Measure and record the thread diameter (TD).

5) Calculate the number of turns (NT) needed for each wrap, divide the wrap length (WL) by the thread diameter (TD)……..…. NT = WL/TD

6) Calculate the length of thread (LT) for each wrap by multiplying the number of turns (NT) by the circumference (CB) for each wrap location……… LT = NT x CB

7) The total length of thread (TOTL) needed for the rod is the summation of all the thread lengths (LT's).......... TOTL = SUM of all (LT's). Plus allow for some waste 2% just a guess, use what you think you will waste.

Have fun

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 21, 2024 04:12PM

I remember when I first started wrapping rods in the early 80's a 100 yard spool D thread would just complete a 9' Fenwick SH 1084 using Fuji BSVLG double foot guides 30-25-20-16-12-10-8-8. Trim was usually gold or silver. No underwrap.

Date: July 29, 2024 02:36PM

My bad. I wasn't careful typing the title and was in a bit of a rush. Auto correct was no help either. Funny comment, though.

Date: July 29, 2024 02:49PM

I have used 1 of 100M spool of Fuji UltraPoly size A thread recently on 2 rods. One spinning 6 foot 6, and one casting 7 foot. They used 8 and 9 guides; spinning rod was a KR concept build. Both freshwater builds. The guides were wrapped normally with metallic gold thread for the trim. Tip wraps included, but they take up little thread. I also wrapped hook keepers and decorative trim bands for a smooth transition between painted sections or decals/inscriptions. Nothing crazy like long length wraps or chevron wraps.

I still have plenty of thread to go, maybe good for another 2 rods of similar type. I am not sure, but that's my best estimate. I am also careful in minimizing thread waste, so that is also a factor.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 29, 2024 07:24PM

Thread's cheap, keep a stock of colors you use a lot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster