I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rear grip
Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: July 08, 2024 01:39PM

Hi looking for ideas or info for a cork grip for a nfc 684-sj804 the butt outer diameter is .687 i have a fuji rear grip bga11c but the end for the cap may be worn out and not be enough to hold the end cap ? Go rings and make one can get rings with outside diameter of 1.25 that would allow for the big end of blank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear grip
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: July 10, 2024 09:22AM

Jim,
Pretty simple.
Buy cork rings of the required size. Ream out each cork ring to match the diameter of the blank at that ring position. Build up a mandrel using masking tape to match the taper of your rod blank. Glue up the cork rings, using tite bond III. Let dry over night, and then slip the glued up rings off the mandrel. Wipe the wet glue that has not cured off the mandrel due to no air, and then use the mandrel to clear out any uncured glue on the inside of the rings. Then, let dry for 24 hours so that the glue dries nicely both on the outside and the inside of the rings.

Then, put back on the mandrel, put on the lathe to shape it and have it ready. Finally, using epoxy glue, reattach the new grip to your rod and move on. p.s. if you are doing this for a finished rod, just bore out all cork rings to the same diameter to the diameter of the extreme butt end of the rod. Then, use masking tape strips with a slight separation between the strips to allow for the use of epoxy to coat and seal all of the tape used for the mandrel and do the entire butt grip replacement from the butt side of the rod blank.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 10, 2024 11:04AM

There are 1 1/4 inch diameter grips out there from various sources, Mudhole's version comes in 3 lengths, the CSGL, they all use a size 25 butt cap as I believe the others also have used.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2024 12:50PM

I'm wondering what you mean when you say "the end for the cap may be worn out and not be enough to hold the end cap" ? My interpretation of what you're describing is that the problem you have is only related to the tenon, and not the rest of the grip, or the butt cap itself?

If the problem is with the butt cap, just buy a new butt cap.

If the problem is with the tenon, then the simplest way in my mind to fix it, would be to simply cut or sand the tenon completely off. Fit the grip to the blank and have enough of the blank's butt, sticking out of the grip needed to accept the butt cap. Then take 1/8" wide masking tape to wrap around the protruding blank, making 2 arbors if room permits. If room for only one arbor, simply build it in the center of the amount of blank sticking out of the grip. If there is room for two, I'd place one almost touching the rear of the grip, and one just a little bit back from the very butt of the blank. I'd then slather on epoxy, making sure to completely encapsulate the masking tape arbors, and then just slide the butt cap on.

Of course you could certainly buy a cork ring or two and glue them on as others have mentioned, but I don't personally see the need to do that. I needed to change out the butt cap on a rod of mine that has a foam core, carbon fiber rear grip. When I took off the original butt cap, most of the foam tenon was destroyed. I followed the procedure that I just outlined above. It worked perfectly, and to look at the rod you'd never know anything was done to it. Granted I had about 1" of blank sticking out of the grip, but his was on a blank that had a much smaller butt diameter than the number's you mentioned for the blank you're using. Once you have everything epoxied up and dry, it's not going to come off.

Just something to consider.

Oh and I wouldn't worry about having to ream out a standard size rear grip to accept the blank you're using. Standard OD on grips seems to be 1" - 1.06" That's more than big enough to accept a blank with the dimensions you mentioned.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster