I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice needed - 1pc to 2pc conversions
Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.225.62.---)
Date: July 08, 2024 12:01PM

I just had a guy contact me - he wants every rod in his collection - all freshwater light to medium heavy rods - converted from 1 pc to 2 pc. He has a 6' truck bed and wants all his rods to fit.... I was very upfront with him about the performance issues, tradeoffs, weight and action penalty - and that I honestly wouldn't recommend the work, as I'd hate to have him incur the cost for dubious benefit. He's very adamant about pursuing the idea though - so I told him I'd research the current state of ferrule availability and construction, determine some costs, and get back to him.

So - does anyone have any experience they can share? I've not done a 2-piece conversion before - now I'm looking at 7 of them. Any recommendations on a brand of ferrule that you like best? I'm finding limited options. My thought is to place the ferrule fairly low on the rods, above the hook keeper/logo area in order to preserve the rod's action and balance to the greatest extent possible.

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice needed - 1pc to 2pc conversions
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: July 08, 2024 02:48PM

RodMaker MAGAZINE Volume 27 - Number 2 - Making Multi-Piece Rod Ferrules

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2024 04:00PM

Properly done, the action isn't going to change. He'll never know it's multi-piece rod. Rod speed might drop a little due to a slight bit of extra weight, but this isn't like the old day where multi-piece rods sported heavy metal ferrules. Make the ferrules from glass.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.225.62.---)
Date: July 09, 2024 08:42AM

Thanks Tom - do you have that RM 27-2 available as a back issue? I didn't see it on the site :-)

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: July 11, 2024 09:39AM

The techniques described in this LIBRARY article are similar to what are done for making a tip over butt ferrule converting a one piece rod to a two piece. [www.rodbuilding.org] If you still need the Rod Maker issue, I can mail you mine. My email is unhidden.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 11, 2024 10:57AM

Hello All.

Here are just a few of the many articles on Ferrels (there is a load of them).

16/2 Ferrules, Making Multi-Piece. By Tom Kirkman. 12
17/1 Ferrules, Past & Present #1: When Multi-Piece Rods Lacked Ferrules. By C. Boyd Pfeiffer. 10
17/2 Ferrules, Past & Present #2: Early Metal And Swiss-Style Ferrules. By C. Boyd Pfeiffer. 10
17/3 Ferrules, Past & Present #3: Ferrules Glass to Glass & Graphite to Graphite. By C. Boyd Pfeiffer. 10

If you want more let me know.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster