I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sea guide alien reel seat locking nut
Posted by: Brandon fennimore (---)
Date: July 07, 2024 09:58AM

Has anyone worked with the sea guide alien reel seat? And if so what are the dimensions of the hidden locking nut that seaguide provides? Meaning what carbon covers and trim will work in conjunction with it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sea guide alien reel seat locking nut
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 07, 2024 02:44PM

Why would you assume the dimensions are different? No one else does.

Posted by: Arthur Lin (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 07, 2024 06:23PM

This will fit the seat perfectly.

[rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.225.62.---)
Date: July 08, 2024 12:04PM

The nut that Arthur linked is great. FWIW - the Alien is my favorite reel seat for light/medium freshwater builds. For me, it sits better in the hand than the Fuji seats or even the very comfortable Amtak G2

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 08, 2024 01:31PM

I like that Seaguide OCTA™ Carbon Fiber Spinning Reel Seat. Might have to order one and see how it feels in the hand. [rodbuilderswarehouse.com]

Date: July 09, 2024 01:06AM

Spencer because there are different O.Ds of different hoods? I don’t see what so odd about me asking but thanks dude. Also i was curious to see if I could something other than what seaguide offers like if I could use a Matagi carbon cover with trim what size would it be closest to.

Date: July 09, 2024 09:50AM

For the vast majority of reel seats a16 mm seat parts fit 16mm seats, all of them, 17 mm seat parts fit both 17 mm casting and spinning seats, etc. no need to overthink these things. Fuji parts have fit Am Tack, Pac Bay, Wiebe/Super Sticker, Castaway, CUI reel seats.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2024 10:34AM

Brandon, you're not out of line at all asking what you did. True, as long as the reel seats etc.... are of the same listed size, there is a lot of interchangeability between different manufacturers, it is not the case with all of them. I've got plenty of parts sitting in a box on a shelf, with parts in it that I hoped would fit other manufacturers components, but don't.

It's much smarter to ask, than to assume.

Date: July 09, 2024 10:47AM

Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the advice!

Posted by: Ray Morrison (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 09, 2024 02:33PM

The SeaGuide 2023 catalog has some dimensions for their hidden nuts.

Hopefully based on the reel seat and whether you are using a 16 or 17, you can find the dimensions you need.

Spencer, for the hidden nut parts as an example, Fuji uses a 20.5 size carbon tube for their KDPS 16 hidden nut. But they use the 22.3 tube size for the KSKSS 16 and TVSK 16 hidden nuts. So while parts are interchangeable between manufacturers it's still a matter of making sure of getting the right size.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: July 10, 2024 08:44AM

There are no silly questions in this business as there are no set standards that everybody follows as in ASTM. Sure lots of stuff (95%) will work with other manufactures.

Yet, the ole rule of measure twice, cut once is my motto

Date: July 10, 2024 01:17PM

If you are not sure about something, have your suppliers size everything up for you, they have always done it for me if I asked, buy everything from the same source and you get the right tip top, winding checks, reel seat, grips etc. all sized to your specific blank, It all comes in the same tube as your blank and on the same nickel saving a lot of headache and shipping costs when you are starting out.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 10, 2024 03:10PM

Who would I contact at North Fork Composites to find out what kind of trim pieces n such, will work on a Sea Guide Alien reel seat, hidden lock nut?

While it's certainly good advice to ask a supplier to fit certain components to your rod blank, not every supplier carries every manufacturers rod blanks, or components. Mud Hole can't fit an Alps MVT reel seat to a blank I buy from them. And Get Bit can't fit an Alps MVT reel seat to blank I buy from NFC.

All people are saying is, that it's smart to ask if others have used a certain component, and if so, ask what specific parts, worked with it. Probably 90% or more, of the threads on this board start with a member asking a question about something they aren't sure about.

Asking and answering questions, and trying to help others, and learning from others, is what this forum is all about.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 10, 2024 07:07PM

David Baylor Thumbs-Up!!

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 10, 2024 07:39PM

I recently found that a Fuji backstop locknut will not fit a CRB ergonomic spin seat. You'd think it would, but no way.

Posted by: Ben Lori (---.103.147.96.tpia.cipherkey.com)
Date: August 18, 2024 09:36PM

Jay Dubay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like that Seaguide OCTA™ Carbon Fiber Spinning
> Reel Seat. Might have to order one and see how it
> feels in the hand.
> [rodbuilderswarehouse.com]
> ing-reel-seats/products/copy-of-seaguide-octa%E2%8
> 4%A2-carbon-fiber-casting-reel-seat-occs?variant=4
> 3329571291371

Hi Jay,
Did you end up getting the OCA? Would it work for a 10-20lbs salmon blank? (spoon/spinner freshwater)

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: August 18, 2024 11:05PM

Rick Handrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The nut that Arthur linked is great. FWIW - the
> Alien is my favorite reel seat for light/medium
> freshwater builds. For me, it sits better in the
> hand than the Fuji seats or even the very
> comfortable Amtak G2

I’ve built five baitcasters with aliens. One I built for myself has been through two remote Alaska trips, coastal steelheading, and many Brownlee bass. It looks as good as new except for some algae in its crevices. I find them ergonomic and like the way they look. I’m going to try a new Fuji TCH and a SeaGuide Air4k more for comparison’s sake and matching blank diameters than being anything but satisfied with the aliens. Rodbuilders Warehouse has been great to do business with. They promptly answer questions and offer some really nice products.

Date: August 19, 2024 12:58PM

On a salmon/steelhead forum maybe a year ago what Ben L. asked came up on a salmon rod, the person bought one of the carbon seats, carbon tube insert and no thread exposed foregrip, had it all laid out and took a pic. Shortly the rod builders respectfully helped him realize it wouldn't work on his blank, firstly his MH blank (your power) was larger in OD than the ID available of decorative carbon tube and smaller than the ID of the reel seat bare. Since this rod was going to be also used in a rod holder the tiny foregrip didn't give you much to grip while removing the rod with a 40 lb. fish attached on a 9 ft. lever you are holding the weak end of. A great combo for a steelhead drift or float rod, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2024 01:07PM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster