I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Casting Rod Blank suggestions for Steelhead Drift Fishing
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: July 09, 2024 10:58PM

Called around and I think I can get a hold of a Lamiglas Certified Pro blank, 8 1/2 ft. XST102 2L, rated 6 to 10 lb. line, 1/4 to 1/2 oz. lure rating, I think it's a lot livelier that the 9 1/2 ft. rods with the same lure rating. I built one for my brother maybe 20 years ago for a smaller river that ran in the back of his property back then, it was designed to be a summer steelhead drift rod but has seemed to work for him year around as long as he isn't fishing heavy flows. Built it as a spinning rod and he has a Shimano 2500 on it, not as fast an action as the Rainshadow 993 which I think is a better bead/yarn ball rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Russ Amato (136.144.43.---)
Date: July 10, 2024 11:16AM

I agree. After taking a deep dive with my client on what line wt and gear he actually utilizes lighter gear and wants the sensitivity the the Lamiglas SI series offers. Also found some options with Mudhole MMX.

Thanks for response...reinforces Lamiglas decisions.

Date: July 10, 2024 11:17AM

Thanks ...checked that out too

Date: July 10, 2024 04:34PM

Todd Vivian was the designer for Lamiglas for many years than got a job with Mudhole just before the Si blanks came out if I remember right, a good source of Lamiglas and MHX info. Salmon and steelhead are well within his realm.

Date: July 10, 2024 06:49PM

My client has asked me to order an additional tip section in case of future breakage . I checked with Lamiglas and they can do this . I think Lamiglas is going to present the best solution and I'm impressed with their rod blank specifications that offer solutions for a range of conditions. So far the only thing I'm not happy about is their tech support. They don't respond to your questions . Of course I started my inquiries right after the July 4th holiday and they may have staff gone still. Has anyone had issues with their tech support and warranty coverage? I understand each rod must be registered within 30 days of purchase for the warranty to be validated.

Posted by: Derick Jahnke (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 10, 2024 10:54PM

Why not build on a higher end fly blank? Will throw lighter gear than most drift rods.

Date: July 11, 2024 09:16PM

The problem with fly rod to drift rod builds that I have done is that the blank loading on fly rods and the fly line is completely different than a drift rod blank, it's much more of a progressive loading when throwing a fly line, this means the fly blank when using gear is much happier with lob casting only. So, if you are in the Midwest slower, small stream environment where just hitting the water is all that is really needed, or if you need a multi-piece rod for travel you are in business. Otherwise, I use a gear rod blank, again this is just my opinion, but an educated one.

Posted by: Ron Beloff (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 12, 2024 01:22PM

I've built the Lamiglas 9'6" SI steelhead blank and loven it for casting small spoons up to 1/2 oz in Western Maryland rivers (Yough, North Branch of the Potomac).

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: July 13, 2024 11:49AM

I have had 2 concerns with breakage over the last 25 years. Not an issue for their warranty department. 2nd one was my fault, or at least that was agree too, settled the warranty out at a retailer for 40 or 50 for a top section and was back on the water the next day. This of course was a factory rod in both cases.

I have since added 2 custom builds of my own and of course more conscientious of my actions. No worries!

Date: July 13, 2024 12:05PM

Chris and all,

Got a Lamiglas SI-1082M 9ft rod blank ordered! Thanks for all feedback, much appreciated!!

Date: July 13, 2024 12:10PM

Chris and all,

Got a Lamiglas SI-1082M 9 ft 10-12# rod blank ordered! Thanks for all your feedback!!

Posted by: Jordan Smith (---.mscw.id.ptr.ziplyfiber.com)
Date: July 13, 2024 01:14PM

Good luck with the build. Let us know how it turns out!

Date: July 13, 2024 01:38PM

The Lamiglas Si 90M blanks are about 70% heavier than many of similar rated blank out there. 2 oz. vs 3.4 oz. if that makes a difference to you, none of the other compared blanks are of some new high tech materials they are using in the fly rods and bass rods more than other blanks.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster