I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glueing Butt Caps vs Air Pressure?
Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 05, 2024 11:22AM

Another quick question. I generally glue my butt cap on toward end of my build. Anyhow, a few times now when glueing up I've had the butt cap have a gap which I'm pretty sure is because everything is air tight and the air pressure pushes back... If I see it happening right away I can add some tape to hold things in place but if there is any excess glue sometimes that gets messy. Also been thinking of adding a pin hole to the butt cap so that the trapped air can be released. Also, thinking of just standing the rod vertically so the weight of the rod helps keep butt cap in place.

Seems to be worst when adding EVA butt cap to a Carbon Fiber grip.

Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has some pointers or solutions I am not thinking about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glueing Butt Caps vs Air Pressure?
Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: July 05, 2024 11:34AM

The tip is the last thing I put on.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.58.---)
Date: July 05, 2024 11:54AM

I build the complete seat/grip/butt knob first, so the tip is open. Never had this happen, but I think the reasoning that air pressure is involved is probably correct. One way to find out is to observe one that moves, then see if removing the tiptop changes things. Be sure it's not clogged by adhesive.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 05, 2024 01:13PM

I keep a plastic capped message board pin on the bench,
and always make that pinhole before doing anything else with a butt cap.
Doesn't hurt to stand the rod up on the butt end after gluing up, helps everything stay in place.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 05, 2024 02:05PM

I noticed the same thing on my very first build. I put 2 pieces of tape opposite of each other to fix it, and I've been doing the same thing ever since. As far as a potential problem with excess epoxy? That's easily avoided by simply applying the epoxy to the inside of the butt cap, instead of applying it to the tenon. Any excess epoxy is pushed up inside the butt cap.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: July 05, 2024 02:30PM

I never glue on butt cap's , friction fit for me and it still takes a lot of force to remove it . The Fuji butt caps I prefer, (BRC) come with a small hole in the center .

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: July 05, 2024 02:39PM

I squeeze the sides of the butt cap while sliding it in place, this slight distortion provides a small gap to allow the trapped air to "burp" out, sometimes it may take one or two tries for the butt cap to stay in place.

Works for me.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2024 04:01PM

The tip top is the first thing that I put on the rod. Reel seat and handle are aligned to it.
I have hypodermic needles I keep on hand. Just push one through the butt cap while glueing and air pressure is no longer a problem.
Norm

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2024 05:56PM

You can either have the tiptop or the butt cap attempt to move at some point due to trapped air. Just do what a few others have mentioned and push a pin into the end of the butt cap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster