I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 piece tarpon rod
Posted by: Peyton Raburn (---)
Date: June 23, 2024 01:38PM

Hey fellas, I’m looking to make a 2 piece tarpon rod. Something like 8’ or so for throwing around soft plastics from the bank at tarpon or snook. I’m thinking like 1-3 oz or so. I really want 2 piece but I could fly with a 2 piece a lot easier and I’d bring it and a VS down to south Florida way more often. Any blank suggestions? I’m looking at the musky stuff from NFC right now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2024 02:15PM by Peyton Raburn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 piece tarpon rod
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---)
Date: June 23, 2024 04:27PM

Take a look at the SW 708-2. A little shorter than you want but in the power range.

Personally I'd save the musky blanks for something like mutton snapper where I need to fish some lead with a stiff blank but don't really need anything powerful.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 23, 2024 04:47PM

Rainshadow SW967F-M, 2 piece, 3/4 - 4 oz. lures. RX7 graphite rod so the sensitivity is good as is the durability, 20 years and no problems with mine. Makes a nice swimbait rod also in the same weights, very versatile, my " Everything rod".

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 24, 2024 10:21AM

Peyton
CTS has a 9'0" 2-5 oz 3 piece.
Contact me for special RB.Org price if interested.
Herb
CTS Rep

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.biz.spectrum.com)
Date: June 25, 2024 05:51PM

A good blank for that application:
[mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Ricky Fleming (---)
Date: June 28, 2024 10:45PM

Try the rainshadow SWT70-3 PIECE 7' FROM BATSON LINE It Will fit in the same rod case with 4 piece fly rods

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.62.---)
Date: June 29, 2024 06:42AM

Rainshadow travel rods are very nice-I would opt for the SWT70H for what you are doing. I have used 3 different Rainshadow RX6 travel rods for bones, cuda, sharks, and they have done very well. Just built an RX7 for lighter stuff. Ricky is right about the ease of travel-2 piece can travel, but not as well as the three piece 7 footer.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 29, 2024 01:30PM

They no longer have the heavy travel blank, and the tip is nowhere as nice for throwing the varied live baits used for tarpon, or anything you want to throw with treble hooks on it for other species. Nice rod for jigging also.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.63.---)
Date: June 29, 2024 04:19PM

GetBit allowed me to put both the MH and H into my shopping cart. I didn't go any further because I don't want to buy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster