I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CTS AFFINITY X 7WT 9'6" LINE?
Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.dsl1.ekgv.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 23, 2024 09:32AM

I only have one spare reel rigtht now and need a WF floating line for this rod. I will be fishing streams for trout.

Does anyone have a sugestion on which line seems to work best with this blank? I have an 8wt wf RIO.

Thanks

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CTS AFFINITY X 7WT 9'6" LINE?
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.datapacket.com)
Date: June 23, 2024 10:31AM

Mark,
The Affinity Series is able to handle the stated line weight - or easily one line over stated line weight.
There are many Rio lines.
I would suggest that it be a trout line.
So, the #8 line would be fine if it is the proper line. i.e. if it's the RIO Outbound - NO!
A question for you - why not look on the left and see that I am a RB.Org sponsor - "HNL Rod Blanks - CTS" and the U.S. distributer for CTS in the U.S.?
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 23, 2024 11:25AM

If I was only going to fish one line for trout on a 7 wt., it would be a Wulff Triangle Taper for the reason it gives you the function of a DT and WF line in the same line, not all your work will be at a distance, nor an overhead cast.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 23, 2024 11:36AM

Love the Wulff lines.
Funny- some people say the Wulff taper is too old - not up to date.
I like them.
A little stiff in cold water so, loops suffer though.
Herb

Date: June 23, 2024 12:53PM

Herb, thank you for your input. I was just trying to see what others may find as what they liked. Your opinion would be biased. lol Not that there is anything wrong with that..lol But I do appreciate your expertise.
I would have never thought of the Wullff line. Thank you for that info Spencer.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 23, 2024 02:43PM

Even when I was young, I never understood the concept that something could be done right and good and that time would always make it better. Lee Wulff and his wife Joan are people that pushed fly angling forward as long as it was possible for them, multiple casting competition wins and untold seminars, casting classes and videos. To think they would build a bad product that wasn't well thought out doesn't go with their well deserved reputations and life choices.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 24, 2024 05:32AM

A 7wt has a grain window of 173 to 195. I’ve found with my Affinity X rods that they like lines that are 185 to 195 grains. So something with a long belly head and rating that is on the high side. Rio has the Grand, Wulff TT, Cortland Trout Boss. SA also has stuff in this class. The Affinity X is a tip flex, fast taper blank. For most casters it needs something a bit heavier than a line like a Rio Gold or Rio Trout, unless you jump a line weight, like using those two in a 8wt configuration.

What type of trout fishing you are doing with this rod, it’s primary function, will also help with picking the best line. Personally a 7wt is on the heavy side for Dries, unless they are bigger air resistant patterns with a nymph in tow, dry/dropper combos. That blank will shine with Streamers and heavy nymph rigs under an indicator.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---)
Date: June 24, 2024 12:35PM

Just as an aside - if you put a digital caliper on the tip of a Wulff Bermuda Triangle floater and on a Bermuda Triangle short- you will find that the short is thinner.
Counter intuitive-I know. But true.
So, the short will land with less disturbance than the long.
Herb

Date: June 26, 2024 10:34AM

Bill thnak you for the advice. Yes it will be used for nymph fishing for steelhead here in Michigan. But also big rivers out west. Doing research with also everyones help here, I also agree with your pick of the RIO Grand.

I have a few 8wt lines for here in Michigan stealhead and will give those a try down the road. I am heading west this month and needed a little lighter wt rod for the Shonne, so I made a 7wt to have a lighter rod that I also can use back in stealhead fishing back here.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 26, 2024 08:20PM

That should be a good rod for Steelhead. My Affinity X rods are used for high stick or indicator nymphing. My gut was thinking it was for Steelhead. If you have a chance, I like mine with DT lines also. The Cortland Trout Boss DT works great. They mend much better than a WF.

Posted by: Ross Montgomery (---.ipv6.telus.net)
Date: June 26, 2024 10:16PM

The wulff triangle tapers are great lines. One more recent line I’ve found that works great on the longer rods is rio’s single hand Spey line. Don’t let the name dissuade you. It over hand casts beautifully, mends great, throws a wonderful roll cast also can do a few Spey type casts effectively. Try it out and like me I’m sure you’ll be impressed as I was.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster