I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Century Rods
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
EPSON Decal Printers
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Broke Fenwick Fly Rod
Posted by: Steve Heinz (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: June 21, 2024 08:57AM

I broke the tip section of my Fenwick Aetos 9 foot 6 weight just above the ferrule taking out a canoe last week. It's not covered by warranty and Fenwick doesn’t sell the sections.
Everything else is good.

--> Would the reel seat, handle, hook keeper and guides do any of you any good?

--> Might anyone be able to fix it? The serial number is 00 F 16DC.

I'd hate to just put it out with the trash.

Thanks,

Steve Heinz
Cumberland, Maine
207 781-4762

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broke Fenwick Fly Rod
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: June 21, 2024 09:31AM

This library article shows how it could be repaired - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: June 21, 2024 11:22AM

You can try the type of repair referenced or espoused here on this forum that a search will reveal. But I would not expect the rod to feel as good or cast as well after the repair.

The parts are pretty much worthless to folks here plus it will take time for you to get them all off the blank. You may want to try selling on Facebook Marketplace or @#$%& where there might be an angler who has the same era of Aetos that has broken a different section and thus would pay you for your 3 good sections.

But first I would try a repair with a stent and see how that goes. If the break is too close to the ferrule you will not have enough room inside the blank for a stent.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---)
Date: June 21, 2024 11:45AM

Steve , Unhide your email so we can coverse.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: June 21, 2024 12:16PM

It should be unhidden heinz@maine.rr.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 21, 2024 12:17PM

david taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You can try the type of repair referenced or
> espoused here on this forum that a search will
> reveal. But I would not expect the rod to feel as
> good or cast as well after the repair.
>
> The parts are pretty much worthless to folks here
> plus it will take time for you to get them all off
> the blank. You may want to try selling on
> Facebook Marketplace or @#$%& where there might be
> an angler who has the same era of Aetos that has
> broken a different section and thus would pay you
> for your 3 good sections.
>
> But first I would try a repair with a stent and
> see how that goes. If the break is too close to
> the ferrule you will not have enough room inside
> the blank for a stent.

David,

I was privy to many of the repaired rods that Ralph did for some of the local fishermen here. Every single one of them said they could not discern any difference in the rod once repaired, and some of these had been repaired as close as just 2 to 3 inches from the tip. Of course, this is subjective, but most had expected a difference and when they did not find it they were more than pleasantly surprised. The article isn't just about how to put a rod back together, but how to do it so the rod retains much it not most of its original characteristics.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.62.---)
Date: June 21, 2024 02:19PM

I shattered a fly rod right about where Steve did, had the CCS numbers from when new, and the repaired rod had the same numbers after repair. I could not detect a difference in casting it. I have made two repairs on the same fly rod for my son, one break near the tip, and one about half way down, and he still uses it and enjoys the fact that it's one of my rods built for him.

The farther down the repair is the more likely one will not see any changes in action, power, or response. Theoretically, the added weight will slow it down, (response, not action) but if one enjoyed a rod before it was broken, and the repair is done well, he will enjoy it after the repair.

A friend of mine, never having built a rod himself, fixed a rod that I had built for him and used it for years after. It doesn't take a pro builder to execute this fix well.

Date: June 23, 2024 01:32PM

Thanks to all for the information and help. I should be all set now. Sincerely, Steve

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster