I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vintage thread finish
Posted by: jonathan utz (---.biz6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 03, 2024 08:43AM

A friend asked me to refurbish an old rod. I cant make out the brand, it appears to be from the 70s or 80s. It's fiberglass with wood handles. 6'6"and it must weigh 10 lbs or more. Anyway it has olive green thread that appears to be size D. Double foot guides and the wraps extend around 3" onto the blank. My question is about an appropriate finish. There is currently only a very subtle finish on the threads . What did they finish thread with 40 years ago. When removing old thread, there is no residue left on the blank. Love your thoughts on matching old finishes. I will be reusing the existing guides in the same location. All thread wraps will be replaced so I'm not fighting matching anything. I'm really curious how these older rods maintained thread integrity with minimal to no finish

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vintage thread finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2024 09:20AM

Essentially they used varnish type products prior to the advent of epoxy wrap finish in the mid 1970's. There were specialty varnish types such as that by Gudebrod and a very few others. To get the same look today you could use any good exterior polyurethane. Even better, PermaGloss, which will give a similar look but with much greater durability.

Posted by: jonathan utz (---.biz6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 03, 2024 10:38AM

You suggesting u-40 permagloss? Anything I should know about applying this type of finish? I will obviously do some test samples but never hurts to have some idea of what I'm doing before I start. Thanks for the quick response Mr. Kirkman. Tell me more about the type of thread used in this time period. Was it rod building specific or not? I'm guessing rodbuilding and the associated materials and distributors of this era were quite different, to say the least.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 03, 2024 11:26AM

My experience with U-40 is it goes on very thin so you may need multiple coats if you plan to use "D" size thread.

You may also consider Flex Coat, it was introduced in 1977 and may be in range of the rod you have.

Have fun

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2024 12:28PM

40 years ago was only 1980, so the rod almost certainly used a common nylon rod wrapping thread, not at all different than what is used today.

Flex Coat is an epoxy finish, Permagloss is a moisture curing urethane. It was developed to mimic the thinner, varnish finishes used at that time but offer better clarity while lasting decades longer than the varnish types in use at that time.

Posted by: Joe Ledbetter (---.biz6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 04, 2024 03:51AM

I started building rods back in the middle 80's. My teacher started me on a pile of well used headboat rods. My job was to salvage as many of them as possible using as much of the blanks butts and guides as possible. They all had worn out old metal seats that had to be cut off with a dremel, then we cleaned off all the old reel seat epoxy and guides, then replaced any worn out foregrips, and sanded the blanks smooth. Once we got them all smoothed and the reel seat/butt mounted back up, the remaining exposed blank got a single coat of white tinted FlexCoat lite. Once cured we wrapped the cleaned and buffed guides (I believe they were old Mildrums), with size D Gudebrod variegated thread, followed by a coat or two of FlexCoat high build on the wraps.
we scraped off the old wraps which had some kind of flexi epoxy on them, any field repair however, was coated with an amberish clear coat of something not flexible enough to resist cracking when the rod was bent. If it cracked too much a second (or third, fourth, etc) coat of the same stuff was applied. IIFC, it was some sort of varnish. Hope this helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster