I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

noisy guide(s)
Posted by: Josh Freeseman (57.140.32.---)
Date: May 30, 2024 03:16PM

So i have built about a dozen KR Concept fishing rods, nearly all 20H, 10H, 5.5M in titanium/torzite. i have 1 particular rod, a 7'2" ML that is NOISY. Only when under tension, i.e fighting a fish it will squeal this super high pitch annoying sound. I have no idea if it is 1 guide in particular or a combination of the guides. i have tried different line types, all braid 6-10lb and same results. how do i figure out what is causing this and solve it? i actually built another rod identical to this one that does not have this problem nor do any of the other builds i have done.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: noisy guide(s)
Date: May 30, 2024 03:21PM

additional info, my entire guide train on teh 7'2" rod is 20H, 10H, 5.5M, 4.5KB, 6x 4.5KT and a 4.5 Arowana tip. all torzite.

Is it possible that epoxy on an insert could do this? Just an idea, its a great rod and i cant stand teh noise when reeling under tension

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: May 30, 2024 03:59PM

Maybe the noise is coming from the reel. I would try to pinpoint the source of the noise on the rod and reel if possible to eliminate it.

Date: May 30, 2024 04:14PM

definitely not the reel. i am having a hard time tfinding the source of the noise, i will keep trying. Just wondering if anyone has had a similair experience that could give me a starting point

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: May 30, 2024 04:37PM

I haven't built with torzites yet, but I do know their main downside (aside from price) is that they're notoriously noisy when using braid. So noisy in fact that many refuse to build with them.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 30, 2024 04:45PM

But he only has the problem with one of the rods ......

I'm thinking I'd be looking at the tip top first. And then work my way back towards the reel. Definitely a two person job. One person reeling, and another person with their ear to each guide in line.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 30, 2024 04:59PM

You may have some harmonics being induced through your guides and blank under load with braid, have you tried mono or fluor line?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 30, 2024 05:35PM

It's not the guides. It's not the tiptop. I have dozens of rods with those guides and no noise like that. Funny line?

Posted by: Josh Freeseman (---)
Date: May 30, 2024 06:30PM

I've tried multiple lines. Only braid. I will not be using mono or flouro on that particular rod. Like mentioned before I have another rod built identical to it same braid off the same spool same noise.

Thank you David I think I will do something like that and follow up after

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 30, 2024 06:44PM

No blank is built identical to another. Nor will your wraps and epoxy application be the same.

Posted by: John Santos (199.101.196.---)
Date: May 30, 2024 07:44PM

Patrick Coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I haven't built with torzites yet, but I do know
> their main downside (aside from price) is that
> they're notoriously noisy when using braid. So
> noisy in fact that many refuse to build with them.

I think you’re thinking of titanium Recoil guides. Torzites are just as quiet as any other guide.

Posted by: Ray Morrison (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 30, 2024 11:05PM

I would start by doing the simple steps

Look for any damaged guides or tip top. On another forum, someone posted a picture of the tip top where the frame had pulled out of the tube. If the frame is moving in the tube it might be the source of your noise.

Look for any loose guides

Look for loose torsite rings inside the frame. Both in and out of the guide and rotational directions.

You said this only happens with one out of multiple rods so you might try to do the following to try to duplicate what's happening, but only one guide at a time.
Support your rod so you can put a load on the guide
Either take your line or a piece of braid. Put the braid through the guide and pull down to load an individual guide. Then when pulling down on the line on both sides of the guide, pull the line back and forth through the guide. Also do this for the tip top. Listen for any noise.

Might not find it but it only costs some time.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 31, 2024 07:42AM

Josh,
There are two simple solutions.

1. Wear noise canceling ear muffs so if there is noise from any source, you will not hear the noise.
2. If you are hard of hearing and wear a hearing aid - turn off the hearing aid and you will not hear the noise.
3. Do not use the particular line that is causing the noise on the particular rod. i.e. the anology - of stopping the problem of having a head that is hurting when you are banging your head against the wall. If you do not bang your head against the wall - stop doing that practice and your head will no longer hurt.
4. Identify the exact source of any item that is generating the noise and eliminate it from the object that is causing the noise to be generated.

-----------------------
Play the part of Sherlock Holmes:
If you are using a particular line and it is causing noise on one rod, but not on another rod - examine the differences between the rod that is noisy and the rod that is quiet using the same line.
Then, change the rod that is making the noise to be like the rod that is not noisy and you should have eliminated the noise issue.

-------------------
If you suspect that you are having the noise generated by the guides on the rod or by the tip top on a particular rod - use a different technique when landing a fish - always keep the full lenghth of the rod pointed directly at the fish when landing the fish. i.e. do NOT lift the rod tip to gain line - when landing the fish: Rather - keep the full length of the rod pointed directly at the fish and use your arm and elbow - steam engine style to land the fish. This technique will minimize any line contact with any rod guide and the rod's tip top. If you find that this technique eliminates the noise, you can be sure that the noise is being generated by the particular line rubbing against something on the particular rod in question. So, now, you can further define the source of the noise by starting with one end of the rod or the other, and purposely leaving one guide or the tip top out of the guide / tip top sequence when threading the rod. i.e. on a bent rod, if the line does not touch a particular guide, it is impossible for that particular guide and or tip top to create the noise.

Or, if you wish, you can remove all of the guides and tip top from the rod and replace the guides and tip top with roller guides and roller tip top. Then, since the line is going through a rolling bearing supported guide and or tip top - there will be no rubbing friction to cause any noise when landing a fish.

----
Ditto on Ray's comment about using a section of line and testing each guide and or tip top by having the rod secure and then running a piece of the line in question through a particular guide and or tip top and while maintaing a lot of pressure, move the line back and forth through the guide and or tip top in question to see if the line is generated on a particular guide and or tip top and continue through all of the guides and tip top for a given rod and line to identify the offending part of the rod that is causing the issue.

Posted by: Josh Freeseman (---)
Date: May 31, 2024 08:02AM

Got up this morning and found what I am 99% sure is the problem. The last runner before the tip has a small Crack. I can't believe it wasn't cutting my line actually. Anyway I'll replace that and hopefully be good to go.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 31, 2024 03:40PM

Good deal on finding what may be the problem Josh ..... hope that ends up being it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster