I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9ft Crappie Jigging Blank
Posted by: Jeffrey Bersuch (---)
Date: May 24, 2024 10:37AM

I tried to search, but couldn't find much. I built a 9' crappie jigging rod with baitcast seat out of a MHX UL Steelhead blank, think ST-1081. I built another with flyreel seat that was out of MHX panfish blank. Wanted to build a 9' with Flyreel and Steelhead blank. MHX discontinued the blank and currently out of a comparable blank. What is a good blank, prefer a 9', for a crappie jigging pole. Using a flyreel seat and nano guides, but can't find a good blank to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9ft Crappie Jigging Blank
Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: May 24, 2024 12:14PM

[voodoorods.com]

or

[voodoorods.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2024 12:21PM by VooDoo Rods.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2024 12:17PM

The Rainshadow REVST90L-2SB may work for you. I have used them for crappie rods and they work well.
I have recently used the VooDoo 9’6” crappie blank. It’s very nice.
[voodoorods.com]
Northfork Composites has steelhead rods.
Although I have not tried them, USA made factory has some steelhead blanks you may want to look at.
[usamadefactory.com]
Rod Geeks also has a 9’ light steelhead blank.
For my personal jig rods I use a 10’ 6 wgt Rainshadow_REVF1006-2SB and fish it with a fly reel.
Norm

Posted by: Jeffrey Bersuch (---.biz6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 24, 2024 03:49PM

Thanks everyone. Just put an order in for a Voodoo. Probably just hack saw 6" off the butt. I'm just going to re-order all my building (and jig tying) supplies and tools. Mine are at my brother's, and we kinda had a falling out.

Date: May 24, 2024 06:17PM

If you cut 6” off the butt section you will slow the action of the blank and make it less powerful. In addition, the tip section will be 6” longer than the butt section.when taken apart and stored and transported. If this doesn’t bother you then go for it, otherwise use it uncut or get a 9’ blank. There are plenty of options out there.
Norm

Posted by: Jeffrey Bersuch (---)
Date: May 24, 2024 06:50PM

Thanks, never thought about the 2pc being different lengths. I'll just make a 9'6" crappie rod...I already bought a Voodoo 9'6" blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2024 06:51PM by Jeffrey Bersuch.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 24, 2024 10:50PM

Well, length is not critical. Go with a 9'6 a 10 foot or an 11 foot. When you are fishing spooky fish in a brush pile or a weed pile, the extra length will often get you a bunch of extra fish. Just do a lift from the boat into the brush, and then do a lift from the brush into the boat to land the fish. No reel really required.

Date: May 25, 2024 12:57AM

Yeah, that's why I like 9'. I made a 9'6" spinning, but filled the butt with lead to balance and was a really heavy rod. So far, only built, back in about 2014 the 9' baitcast out of steelhead blank. A 9'6" spinning out of steelhead, a 7' spinning, but was too light action, and not long enough. Then made the 9' flyreel out of MHX panfish blank. Just bought a new to me (2015 nitro z7) boat and ready to go get some crappie. The only rod I have is the 9' flyreel, and wanted to build me another. Ordered the voodoo 9'6" and was going to order all new building supplies, but Mudhole is out of 9rpm dryers and thread tool kits. All my supplies, rods, jigs, ect are at my brother's, and we kind of had a falling out bc of his drunk texts at 3am in morning, and he was a **** when I tried to get my stuff, saying hire a mover and let him know date. I told him take it all to the curb, I'll buy new.

Date: May 25, 2024 02:19PM

Think I'm just going to try to do a split grip, with a fighting butt and move the real seat up the rod some. Once Mudhole gets 9rpm dryers and thread furnishing tools in, I'm going to order. Just got notice my Voodoo blank shipped. Sure we're quick.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.225.62.---)
Date: May 28, 2024 08:26AM

I've been looking at this blank for some time now - has anyone used it for casting 1/32-1/16 oz jigs with floats? Curious how it does with long casts and long distance hooksets. I'm pitching to shallow, spooky spring crappie quite often and need a blank that can take up line and set the hook from distance!

Date: May 28, 2024 09:50PM

Should work well for what you want to do.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 29, 2024 10:22AM

Jeffrey,
Not my business, but on a personal note.

Stop what you are doing and patch up the issues that you have with your brother.

You are talking about family.

Family and family interface is a million times more important than almost anything else in the world. Surely, family being together is many many times more important that tools, fishing rods, or any thing of a similar nature.

Whether it is any ones fault - go over and apologize and get on with your life.

If you don't one day - you or yourself will be gone and you will have missed the fun and friendship that is incumbent with a wonderful relationship.

Note - if a drunk text is causing an issue - it is likely time for the people involved to stop drinking. So much hurt, harm and bad feelings are caused by this issue alone.

Also, if you happen to receive a text that was sent when a person was drunk - simply delete it and don't even read it. When drunk - a person is not speaking out of his right mind.

Note- avoid the use a lead on a rod. If you want the rod to balance, simply move the reel seat closer to the tip and you will not have a blance issue.

Folks say that if the reel is up the rod that one can not cast as far. Sure, that is the case if you keep your hand on the reel seat. But, for a very long rod with the reel up the rod some for balance - simply move both hands to the butt of the rod when casting and you will regain the full length of the rod when casting. Then, after casting simply move the hands back to the reel seat for fishing.

Best wishes, and please - above all - keep the family peace.

You only have one of these particualr people in your life. Any family relationship is too precious to ever ignore.

Date: June 01, 2024 12:32AM

Thanks, Roger. I know what alcohol does. Cost me over 7yrs in the pen for drinking and driving. I wish I could patch it. Tbh, I'm not even really sure where it all came from. I don't cast with my rods. Strictly vertical jigging from a boat. They were the first two Rods I built. I've bought the voodoo blank. Seems really nice. I ordered the rest of the stuff from Mudhole and Amazon (Mudhole out of dryers and thread tools). I'm going to do a skeleton fugi spinning reelseat in front of a 2" carbon fiber butt cap, then 2" carbon fiber grip in front of reel seat. Then, spaced up some where balanced, a full wells carbon fiber grip. Using 14 nano guides, 4mm, 3mm, 2mm, then qty 11 - 1mm with #4 ring tip. Wrapping in pea soup and ghost grey. Should come out nice. Did the green metal winding checks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2024 12:34AM by Jeffrey Bersuch.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster