I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

  • Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

  • Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

    Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: May 14, 2024 08:51AM

I built and finished a rod with my name in the signature area. What is the best way to cover that up so I can sign a new name to it? I want to give it to my niece's husband. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2024 09:15AM

Make a wrap over it, finish, and then inscribe and finish over that. Choose a thread color that will compliment the rest of the rod and it won't look out of place.

...........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: May 14, 2024 09:31AM

If you didn't make the mistake of signing directly on the blank - you should sand off your name.
Then sign again.
You should always apply a couple of coats of finish before signing.
If you signed directly on the blank - then I would remove as much of the finish above your name - dont sand into the nlank - remove butt wrap and get as level as possible.
You may have to lay down some finish to get whole area level - then put a wrap over it

Herb
CTS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: May 15, 2024 10:34AM

I guess I'll have to cover it with thread and finish it. I can sign it again up the rod blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: May 15, 2024 11:09AM

Why can't you inscribe over 2nd coat of epoxy over new wrap?
Dull it with 2000 grit wet or dry.
Recoat after inscription done.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2024 02:14PM

Sign it on the epoxied thread wrap you put over the old inscription. Then overcoat that.

..............

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 16, 2024 05:19AM

I don’t put a thread wrap base down and epoxy over that. It is not needed in my opinion.

What I do is apply a coat of finish to the blank where I am going to do the inscription. Once cured, take the shine off, gently with a Scotch Brite Pad, write your inscription, let that dry and put another coat of epoxy thread finish over that. You can another coat, but really not necessary.

For inscribing, I use a Quill Pen with the smallest nibs available. If I am doing Black, India Ink. Silver, Gold or Copper, I use Testors Model Paint.

Word of caution, Do Not Thin your finish with a solvent.

I am lucky to have decent handwriting. I would try test run on scrap blank pieces first. If your handwriting is less than stellar, find a family member or friend to help out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: May 16, 2024 08:01AM

Replacing the existing signature could also be done by covering the original one with paint or marker, finishing, signing, and finishing again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2024 08:59AM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don’t put a thread wrap base down and epoxy
> over that. It is not needed in my opinion.
>
> What I do is apply a coat of finish to the blank
> where I am going to do the inscription. Once
> cured, take the shine off, gently with a Scotch
> Brite Pad, write your inscription, let that dry
> and put another coat of epoxy thread finish over
> that. You can another coat, but really not
> necessary.
>
> For inscribing, I use a Quill Pen with the
> smallest nibs available. If I am doing Black,
> India Ink. Silver, Gold or Copper, I use Testors
> Model Paint.
>
> Word of caution, Do Not Thin your finish with a
> solvent.
>
> I am lucky to have decent handwriting. I would try
> test run on scrap blank pieces first. If your
> handwriting is less than stellar, find a family
> member or friend to help out.


Bill,

The OP's problem is that there is already an inscription on the blank. The purpose of a thread wrap would be to cover what is already there, and then put the inscription on the thread wrap and finish over that.

.........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: May 16, 2024 09:04AM

I'm not sure if you caught it, but I'm covering a signature area and then signing over it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 16, 2024 12:44PM

Bruce Tomaselli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not sure if you caught it, but I'm covering a
> signature area and then signing over it.

Got ya, I missed that part. Then do what Tom said if your signature was done directly on the blank. If you dropped a coat of finish first, then signed it and coated over that, if you have a power wrapper, you can gently sand the old finish down with 400 grit paper, tread lightly here, just take off enough to get into the first coat of finish removing the signature. Make a quick pass with the sandpaper, wipe with 90% ISO Alcohol, repeat till you have it gone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: May 16, 2024 01:23PM

Scrap off the original signiture with a razor blade, Burnish the blank and sign again and apply two coats of finish and you will be good to go.

No need to apply anything to the blank before signing it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---)
Date: May 17, 2024 09:59AM

That won't hurt the blank? I didn't know you could do that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (2.59.157.---)
Date: May 17, 2024 12:15PM

IMO - bad idea - especially if blank painted.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: May 18, 2024 07:38PM

You could mix marbling pigment with finish, cover the offensive area, sign on top of that, and recoat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 19, 2024 11:33AM

I agree with Herb, bad idea to scrape off if blank is painted or has a gloss top coat on it. If it is a sanded natural finish like a NFC or unsanded natural blank, scrape away. Finish will come off very easy and coating it again will never be noticeable.
Painted blanks can be an issue when removing thread and finish, sometimes the paint will chip off, just depends on who’s blank it is. Also, what the original builder did with the finish. I’ve done repairs on guides where a builder mixed a solvent with the wrap finish and the blank finish came off when unwrapping the thread, didn’t even get to scraping it off, just peeled away with the thread.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Way To Cover Signature Area
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.68.237.4.hwccustomers.com)
Date: May 19, 2024 02:54PM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Herb, bad idea to scrape off if blank
> is painted or has a gloss top coat on it. If it is
> a sanded natural finish like a NFC or unsanded
> natural blank, scrape away. Finish will come off
> very easy and coating it again will never be
> noticeable.
> Painted blanks can be an issue when removing
> thread and finish, sometimes the paint will chip
> off, just depends on who’s blank it is. Also,
> what the original builder did with the finish.
> I’ve done repairs on guides where a builder
> mixed a solvent with the wrap finish and the blank
> finish came off when unwrapping the thread,
> didn’t even get to scraping it off, just peeled
> away with the thread.

Also - raw carbon blanks have, for want of a better word, microscopic "holes" or "pores" that traps paint or ink that you can't remove unless uou scrape down past the surface.
Don't do it.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster