I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2025 ICRBE
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents System
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split Grip on flippen rod
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (50.53.242.---)
Date: May 11, 2024 06:12PM

Has anyone ever used split grips on a Flippen rod, if so what are some good measurements?

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split Grip on flippen rod
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: May 11, 2024 09:20PM

Been using em since about 2003. Is really a matter of personal preference, I like mine to be short enough so as the rear of the butt will not catch in clothing. For me that length cannot be longer than 10.5”.. if you are working with a blank longer than 7’6” you may not be pleased with the balance of the rod ( meaning it may be too heavy. If your lucky enough to have longer arms you might find 11 - 11.25 inches will work great.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (50.53.242.---)
Date: May 11, 2024 10:04PM

I have never made one on a Flippen rod, but all my bass rods have them, and they kick butt over a handle type of setup. I have even put them on fly rods, and people just love them. The guy is about 5.8 tall and not a big boy, so I very much doubt that he would be a tummy tucker who wants a short handle. Any more suggestions? the rod is 7.6, so balancing would be kind of hard as I never balance any rod that is over 7 feet; it just does not work well, so balancing would not be a big problem, any more help would be great.

Thanks

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: May 12, 2024 07:22AM

I stand when I flip (technically pitchin), so I can get away with a little longer handle...which is about 12.5 inches.
The longer handle comes in handy as leverage against the body.
The rod is 7' 2"...(I'm about 5' 11")...that length of a rod allows me pitch a jig without the tip hitting the water.

My flippin rod is about 7' 6".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2024 07:22AM by Chris Catignani.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: May 12, 2024 08:04AM

I'm a touch under 5' 8', medium build, the grips on my pitching / flipping rods are 9 3/4", butt of the rear grip, to the back of the reel seat. Like Thomas said, you have to consider any possible clothing you may need to wear when determining rear grip length. If not, you may end up with a rod that could be very difficult to use accurately. And you need accuracy when flipping and pitching.

One other thing to consider, is the path the rear grip takes when performing the technique. I pitch and flip with the same rod during a days fishing. When I flip, the rear grip of the rod travels to the outside of my forearm, away from my body. When I pitch, the rear grip travels to the inside of my forearm, towards my body. That plays a major role in how long of a rear I use.

Personally, I've moved away from split rear grips on my pitching and flipping rods. I want the added rear grip weight because it helps with balancing the rod and reel combination. And if it's a pitching and flipping rod, I will go to any length it takes, other than making the rear grip longer, to make sure the rod and reel combination have the degree of balance I prefer. Titanium guides with size 5 or smaller runners, and if need be, I'll add weight inside the butt of the rod.

Rod and reel balance is IMO, key when it comes to pitching and flipping rods.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---)
Date: May 12, 2024 12:12PM

It sounds like he is of an average to smaller build. Set it up at 10.25 from the rear of the reelseat.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.55.---)
Date: May 12, 2024 02:19PM

Comfort is pretty individual specific, but I have always liked the butt of the split to be at/around my elbow joint when holding the reel seat for pitching/flipping/TX rigs/jigs/etc. How people hold the seat dictates that distance.

The retail bass rod world gives you grip length as the length from the end of the butt to the top end of the seat or foregrip, whichever comes first (on foregrip-less rods, the top end of the seat is the measurement point), so you can reference retail rods specs based on that as well.

For me personally, on my favorite pitching/flipping setups the grips are all between 15.5-16.5in depending on the butt grip design, no foregrip (all ECSM seats, so subtract 4.35in for the distance from the butt to the rear of the reel seat). When building a split grip I will mark up the reel seat position to the desired grip length after fitting (not epoxying) the fighting butt so I can get the exact distance that is my preference. You can put a reel (best if you use the reel you plan to use with it) on the seat and see how it feels in reference to the final position of your liking too (or with whoever you are building it for).

I don't recommend copying retail specs because you're building a custom rod, I would build it for the comfort of the person using it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster