I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Actually 2 questions: winding checks and prowrap
Posted by: jon tobey (---.66.235.8.149.static.broadstripe.net)
Date: May 08, 2024 03:08PM

Does anybody besides @#$%& sell collections of winding checks? I'm sick of buying them per rod.
Is ProWrap out of business? I went to several sites looking for a particular color, including Mudhole, and they all had less than a half dozen colors in stock.

jontobey@yahoo.com
www.gointothelight.wordpress.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Actually 2 questions: winding checks and prowrap
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: May 08, 2024 03:52PM

I've never seen a collection of winding checks.

Everytime I need one, I order 3 or 4. I usually buy one each a size up and a size down from what I think I'll need.

I build mostly bass and inshore and 95% of my blanks need between a 11mm and a 15mm winding check so I do my best to keep those on hand in a couple of finishes (silver and dark gunmetal usually)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 08, 2024 04:28PM

If you are talking about aluminum "flashy" winding checks, they are pricey and in my opinion, gaudy, not classy. Like too much lipstick. The classiest checks are the cheapest and easiest because sizing is not as important. Black vinyl/rubber winding checks. When you apply wrap epoxy use an excess right at the check, cover the whole check encapsulating it, and the epoxy will form a nice, neat, filet over the check. It will appear as a simple black line adjacent to your wrap. You have to buy a few sizes, but if they are a little tight, no problem.

Date: May 08, 2024 05:45PM

I knew somebody was going to reply that I really didn't what what I want, but I do. Thank you anyway.

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (163.116.253.---)
Date: May 08, 2024 06:13PM

140pc OEM Rod Building Wrapping Aluminum colored Winding checks Kit on e B a y

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2024 06:16PM by Travis W Thompson.

Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: May 08, 2024 07:18PM

I don’t know what’s up with Pro wrap, but I have seen this for a while. Seems a lot of items are besides just pro wrap are not in stock.

Date: May 08, 2024 08:14PM

I only use the aluminum winding checks on the thread side of reel seats to help "seal" the seat. They're not gaudy and they provide a more permanent solution than the rubber winding checks which can degrade over time.

I dont particularly like them on split grips and find them unnecessary (both from a cost and appearance standpoint) if the grips are reemed appropriately. If I need to cover up a blemish there, I prefer thread and an epoxy ramp.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 08, 2024 09:57PM

Remember AmTack and Mudhole were bought, they may be getting rid of less used and profitable items.

Date: May 09, 2024 08:28AM

The black flexible checks do not degrade if totally encapsulated with epoxy as I recommended. I would not use them exposed due to the degradation concern. Seems like everything rubber or plastic degrades in time when exposed.

Date: May 09, 2024 12:44PM

Oh yeah I understand they won't degrade if completely enclosed, I just know I'm not perfect and like the extra insurance that the aluminum affords.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't use any winding checks (and sometimes don't when using hood covers that don't show the end of the reel seat), but when needed I prefer the security of the aluminum. I'd be interested in the weight difference, if any, between an aluminum winding check epoxied to the reel seat vs the rubber check covered in thread finish.

Date: May 09, 2024 12:49PM

Funny, I specifcally put "not on e Bay" in my original message (I've been looking there for a while, not fly rod sized, and they are coming from China.) but it got randomized into a bunch of nonsense letters. But yes, something just like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2024 12:51PM by jon tobey.

Posted by: Travis W Thompson (163.116.249.---)
Date: May 09, 2024 01:55PM

jon tobey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Funny, I specifically put "not on e Bay" in my
> original message (I've been looking there for a
> while, not fly rod sized, and they are coming from
> China.) but it got randomized into a bunch of
> nonsense letters. But yes, something just like
> that.

They filter out websites such as @#$%&.com vs. e B a y; most of these types of parts will come from China or another location other than the United States.

I do what Patrick does (order more than needed and end up with extras to choose from later on).

Date: May 10, 2024 05:01PM

I'm doing that too, it would just be nice, and cheaper, to have some on hand.

Posted by: John Ricks (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: May 10, 2024 06:49PM

Ah just use something else. Brown GE Micarta turned on the lathe to fit the blank. Nice addition to the cork. I build this mooching rod in 1981, still use it. Had it in the lathe to touch up the epoxy on the windings.

The black next to the Micarta is thread.

Date: May 11, 2024 07:03AM

The weight difference between any combination of winding checks has to be insignificant due to the location at the butt area of the rod.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: May 12, 2024 01:41AM

I've noticed the same shortage issues with ProWrap. I don't use the decorative wind checks to be able to answer that question.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.ashnvax2.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: May 12, 2024 03:55PM

Jon - I offer colored winding checks on my site - www.customcoloredguides.com - lots of color options across various styles and can match the guides exactly. Happy to offer a bulk collection of them if interested :)

There is also a vendor offering bulk anodized kits - don't think I can mention it as he’s not a sponsor here but message me directly and I’ll pass along the info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2024 03:58PM by Michael Ward.

Posted by: VooDoo Rods (---.stat.lusfiber.net)
Date: May 13, 2024 08:04AM

Jon - We keep a number of different types of checks in stock from 5mm up to 23mm. Orders ship within 24 hours with shipping as low as $3-$4.

[voodoorods.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster