I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater Large OD Grips
Posted by: Scott Whitmore (---.sttlwax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: May 03, 2024 01:06PM

Piscari Cork is proud to introduce it newest products!

Large diameter Salt Water grips made from ultra durable Micro Agglomerated Cork.

All the benefits of Cork but None of the drawbacks. Micro Agglomerated grips on your heavy salt rods will last the lifetime of your rod and outperform any other natural material.

Check them out at www.piscaricork.com.

The link to the left of this page is American Grips Piscari, fifth from the top.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater Large OD Grips
Posted by: Abe Henderson (---.dynamic.asdk12.org)
Date: May 09, 2024 02:12PM

Hey Scott, I like the idea of this product. How much does it weigh compared to cork? That is usually the biggest downside of composite cork grips. Do you have any weights for the grips?

Thanks,

Abe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 09, 2024 07:59PM

I asked that question a month or so ago, they said 9% or less depending on the cork being weighed, lesser quality cork seen in store rods that use added filler is much closer the same weight.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 10, 2024 06:09AM

A personal preference comment, its appearance reminds me of particle board or cork sheet, very precise-looking, but without much character. One of the things I like about exotic burl cork, in some varieties, is the irregularity of particle size and shape-looks interesting, not "processed." Appearance is a drawback to me, maybe only me.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2024 02:01PM

Sometimes the priority is durability over weight or aesthetics. This is often the case with saltwater rods that see hard use in tough conditions.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 10, 2024 05:46PM

Agreed. But I think exotic burl cork is durable enough for salt. And satisfies my aesthetics. Is there objective evidence that it is not durable enough for salt.?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 10, 2024 06:16PM

No, I think that it is, other than some of the types that are comprised of larger flakes and can flake off when used on the extreme butt or fore end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster