I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: line touching blank un avoidable?
Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 27, 2024 03:05PM

Tomos,
Then there is the other side of the story.
In years past, I built a number of spiral wrapped guides. Some simple spiral, some with several transition guides.

But, simply put, every rod came back to me and the client asked for a conventional casting rod. They gave different reasons why they wanted a conventional rod over a spiral wrapped guide. But, to me - it made no difference, but, if the customer wanted something, and in this case they wanted conventionally wrapped guides. By the way, all of the spiral wrapped rods cast about the same distance as the conventional rods. The spiral wrapped rods never had the line rubbing the blank. But, during casting and during reeling on the conventional, there was never any line touching either. Sure, with a conventional rod - on a big fish and a heavy bend in the rod there was a bit of line rubbing, but I never did any reeling under these time. I would just wait until I bent forward for another bite on the fish that I would reel and during those times there was no rubbing of the line on the blank.

Simply put - it is up to the client what he/she wants. From my perspective, that is what they get.

I let them know that the spiral wrap is available if they wish - but it is entirely up to them.

Take care

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 27, 2024 03:06PM

Tom,

As you mentioned, there are many spiral wrap systems that work well. Question for you. I know that you have been a big promoter of the spiral wrap, and rightfully so. Would the performance of the spiral wrap be enhanced by achieving the180 degree side more quickly, as in getting there with 2 guides rather than say 5, so that more of the softer side of the blank is utilized? Would the tendency for the rod to torque be reduced? I haven't had the opportunity to experiment, and wondered if you had any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Dave Sytsma

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 27, 2024 03:11PM

Tomos,
Then there is the other side of the story.
In years past, I built a number of spiral wrapped guides. Some simple spiral, some with several transition guides.

But, simply put, every rod came back to me and the client asked for a conventional casting rod. They gave different reasons why they wanted a conventional rod over a spiral wrapped guide. But, to me - it made no difference, but, if the customer wanted something, and in this case they wanted conventionally wrapped guides. By the way, all of the spiral wrapped rods cast about the same distance as the conventional rods. The spiral wrapped rods never had the line rubbing the blank. But, during casting and during reeling on the conventional, there was never any line touching either. Sure, with a conventional rod - on a big fish and a heavy bend in the rod there was a bit of line rubbing, but I never did any reeling under these time. I would just wait until I bent forward for another bite on the fish that I would reel and during those times there was no rubbing of the line on the blank.

Simply put - it is up to the client what he/she wants. From my perspective, that is what they get.

I let them know that the spiral wrap is available if they wish - but it is entirely up to them.

Take care

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2024 04:01PM

David,

Let's start by understanding that spine has nothing to do with rod twist. It doesn't cause it and can't prevent it. The only way to eliminate rod torque or twist is by putting the guides on the underside of the rod.

The Simple Spiral goes directly from a 0 degree guide to a 180 guide right at the outset. That's about as quick as you can get (allow really) the line to go where it wants to go in the first place. If it bothers you that the line will rub the side of the blank, you can go in between those two guides and install a "bumper" or rub prevention guide. That's all that particular guide does - keep the line off the rod blank.

The Simple Spiral features the quickest means of allowing the line to get to the bottom of the rod. Other systems use transition guides to do so more slowly and over more distance, but all of them to my knowledge, result in a stable rod that won't attempt to torque or twist under load.

Here's one more thing to think about as you experiment with spiral wrap systems - you do not have to take the line to the underside of the rod - it will simply go there naturally if you allow it to. This is what the Simple Spiral does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2024 08:07AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Tomos Edwards (---.as13285.net)
Date: April 29, 2024 04:08AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tomos,
> Then there is the other side of the story.
> In years past, I built a number of spiral wrapped
> guides. Some simple spiral, some with several
> transition guides.
>
> But, simply put, every rod came back to me and the
> client asked for a conventional casting rod.
> They gave different reasons why they wanted a
> conventional rod over a spiral wrapped guide.
> But, to me - it made no difference, but, if the
> customer wanted something, and in this case they
> wanted conventionally wrapped guides. By the way,
> all of the spiral wrapped rods cast about the
> same distance as the conventional rods. The
> spiral wrapped rods never had the line rubbing the
> blank. But, during casting and during reeling on
> the conventional, there was never any line
> touching either. Sure, with a conventional rod -
> on a big fish and a heavy bend in the rod there
> was a bit of line rubbing, but I never did any
> reeling under these time. I would just wait until
> I bent forward for another bite on the fish that I
> would reel and during those times there was no
> rubbing of the line on the blank.
>
> Simply put - it is up to the client what he/she
> wants. From my perspective, that is what they
> get.
>
> I let them know that the spiral wrap is available
> if they wish - but it is entirely up to them.
>
> Take care

Ohh 100% id give the customer what they ask for. This rod however is for me! haha

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2024 09:55AM

I’ve made lot of spiral wrapped casting rods and have never had one returned. In fact, many have had me convert their conventionally wrapped rods to spiral wrapped rods. Once you try one you realize they really do work great.
Norm

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 29, 2024 02:24PM

Thanks guys,especially you,Tom, for all the insights on the system. I intend to continue using the spiral wrap unless the customer is adamant that it be conventional. One of my customers who was determined that anything I built be conventional has since demanded that everything I build for him is spiral wrapped, and his friends as well. I don't have to preach to them, the rods speak for themselves.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster