I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping a Ridged NFC FAF905-4...How To?
Posted by: Ken Schoenberg (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: April 24, 2024 03:16PM

I got my new blank from NFC and it has ridges on it. I tried a couple of test wraps and the ridges make it pretty hard for me to get the wraps tight and in line. I'm using A size thread.
I did a search here and found that some people suggested sanding them. When I asked NFC about that I was told that sanding their blanks would immediately void the warranty.

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some tips on how to wrap on a non-smooth blank.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping a Ridged NFC FAF905-4...How To?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2024 03:22PM

Determine which way the spirals run and set your rod so that your wraps run across rather than perpendicular to the ridges. This will entail swapping the rod end for end on half of any of double foot wraps. I haven't done this in a long time but I think I've got it right.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 24, 2024 04:46PM

Is not that impossible to accomplish when some of the guides are double footed? And you for one foot have to wrap in the other direction?

I don't find it impossible to wrap these rods, having done a couple before understanding the challenge. Now if I go with NFC, it's only the mirror finish, or whatever they call their smooth blanks. But I prefer to simply go elsewhere for my blanks and don't have to worry about it.

For me to wrap them I had to be very careful wrapping with constant tension, then carefully packing during and after wrapping.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: April 24, 2024 05:28PM

I just got done wrapping two rod built on NFC MB 725 C6O2 X ray blanks. I used size A thread, and I wrap with high thread tension. You just have to pack frequently, and I found that using my finger nail to pack the thread, or the pad of the tip of my finger or thumb to roll the thread to pack it, works pretty well. Trying to pack with a packing or burnishing tool was unsuccessful.

I use a power wrapper, and I hold a little more reverse angle on the thread as it goes to the blank, than I would if the blank surface were smooth. The trick in that is not spinning it fast or the thread will jump back over the already laid part of the wrap.

I will say that the C6O2 blanks had less severe ( I guess i the word ) ridges than some of the earlier X ray blanks I purchased. I actually sanded those blanks smooth because of how textured the blank surface was. So maybe it's just the C6O2 blanks that aren't as severely ridged. I have 4 of them, and they all have the same feel as far as the ridges go.

Not too bad ..... not too bad at all

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: April 24, 2024 06:35PM

Along with Ruffles, NFC LMX have ridges. I have made two of these rods. It takes a bit of practice as the ridges make starting the wrap more challenging. Then you need to pack after every two or three wraps, especially early on. And keep a good pressure on your tension device. I have made the NFC 905-4 and 908-4 and am very happy how they turned out.

Epic blanks also have ridges, they call it Shark Skin, as do the new Batson Eternity X10. As to Scott finished rods, and some others. I think it is kind of in vogue.

Yes, you can sand down the ridges or knock them down a bit with a Scotch Bright type pad, but adios warranty. And if you go too deep you risk affecting the actual body of the blank.

Once I got the knack of it it after one or two rods it was not too difficult, but the first section you wrap is a challenge. Also, be sure to really grind down the guide feet for a nice transition. I had my best luck with Fuji Ultra Poly 019 Light Grey. This thread already has CP embedded in it. I provides a great contrast to the FAF blank and in the few places where you do not get a 100% perfect pack to the wrap you will not see it. I used it on one NFC and one Epic build with 3 thinned coats of Next Gen thread epoxy. Beautiful finish. The Grey is somewhat translucent and the 1/18 or 1/8 inch epoxy overlap/transition from the end of the thread to the blank almost looks like a black trim band.

On the FAF905-4 I used Fuji Ultra Poly in black. Also looks great. On that rod I did single foot guides.

The line will slip a bit to one side or another of the ridge when you are trying to get the wrap started. To start the threads I went to making two or three wraps then placing the overlapping thread to minimize sliding. Also, once you get it going you really need a good 4 or 5 wraps, packing tightly to get it set up evenly on the blank and across the ridges, before thinking about cutting the thread. I would often not cut until I got 7 or 8 wraps in place and ensure they were even.

Of course you could try a wider diameter thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2024 11:16PM by david taylor.

Posted by: Will Anderson (---)
Date: April 24, 2024 08:20PM

I second what's been repeated. Pack frequently and you'll be good.

Date: April 25, 2024 08:50AM

Thank you all!

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: April 25, 2024 10:37AM

Ken,
If you don't like the ridges, sand them off and live with the blank that you have then.

Date: April 26, 2024 08:00AM

I'm going to give it a try. I do wish I had done more research on the NFC blanks.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: May 03, 2024 01:24PM

More and more blanks are being sold and built with ridges, NFC is certainly not the only ones. I had no problems I remember of note whether I built my Dan Craft Sig V 10 wt., a raw blank, 20 years ago or the NFC P700 I just finished.

Date: May 03, 2024 01:31PM

Well, to me, it's significantly more difficult to wrap the thread neatly and to push them into place. I'm sure there are plenty of people with the experience and skill to do it. I'll learn, but as I'm only going to build a couple more rods in my life, it's not something I would have chosen (had I known).
I'm not blaming NFC, I should have done more research, as I never expected or knew there were blanks that came like that. A note on their website would have been helpful.
The only strange part of this is there's a post on this forum from the head of NFC that says sanding the ridges won't automatically void the warranty, but an NFC employee told me it would.

Posted by: Bill Pope (---)
Date: May 03, 2024 02:14PM

I ordered a bunch of their blanks in their pick 10 and prolly some others along the way during their sales that are unsanded and have the ridges. The first one I wrapped after I applied the finish, I sure wasn’t satisfied with the spaces I could see the blank through. Next rod I wrapped I did in a black size B and was careful to pack often like others have said. It turned out much better.

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: May 04, 2024 02:14AM

before gluing anything on the butt section, practice some wraps on the first and or second section up from the butt. If you find the ridges too much of a pain in the ass then sell the blank on this forum or elsewhere.

You can also buy a finished version of the rod at NFC's Edge Rod page, under the name Archetype. Cost is less than $300.

A local rod builder or fellow forum member may help you out if the ridges are too much.

If you get a good thread start and keep packing every 2 or 3 wraps you will get the hang of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster