I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double foot stripper guide on a light spinning rod?
Posted by: John Curtin (165.225.59.---)
Date: April 12, 2024 05:25PM

Hello Everyone,

I really appreciate all the information on this website. It really helps me as a new rod builder. I was hoping I could get the opinion on this from some seasoned builders.

I understand the functionality differences between single and double foot guides, weight, application and so on. My question is would it be sacrilegious to use a double foot stripper guide on some light spinning rods? Does that small amount of weight make that much of a difference?

The rest would be traditional single foot choker guides and runners. I really like the look of double foot guides and want to incorporate it in these builds. A lot of this could be personal preference, but I was curious if anyone did this before me with good results.

Any advice, wisdom or if you have some strong opinions, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double foot stripper guide on a light spinning rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 12, 2024 06:17PM

I assume you mean the butt guide (only fly rods have a stripping guide). It won't hurt anything. And the greater durability of the larger butt guide is often an advantage when pulling rods out of tubes, rod lockers, etc.

Posted by: John Curtin (---)
Date: April 12, 2024 06:42PM

Thanks for the correction. Yes that’s what I meant, the first guide from the handle.

There is a ton of information on double compared to single but I couldn’t find anything on just switching the first one.

Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Todd Jensen (173.0.23.---)
Date: April 12, 2024 08:17PM

Yes it would be sacraligeous (sp), but that’s the beauty of building your own. You can do what you want!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: April 12, 2024 09:13PM

Not unheard of many guide rods are built that way for the reasons Tom mentioned.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 13, 2024 07:33AM

Since that guide is way back off the tip, closer to the hand, its effect on rod function (weight/sensitivity/TNF/ballance) is most likely insignificant.

Posted by: John Curtin (216.82.37.---)
Date: April 13, 2024 02:12PM

Thanks all for the responses. I assumed there wouldn't be much of a difference but since I personally haven't seen it often, maybe there was a reason as to why other builders were not doing it.

I have a season of ice rod building under my belt now which went pretty well. I designed and had a full line of ice rod blanks manufactured to my specs. Now it's time to move to open water.

Looking forward to learning more!

Date: April 13, 2024 04:40PM

"Now it's time to move to open water." Will be easier than ice.

Posted by: John Curtin (216.82.37.---)
Date: April 13, 2024 04:49PM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Now it's time to move to open water." Will be
> easier than ice.

That's reassuring. I'm not being sarcastic at all. My head is going to explode looking at the different guide sizes, weights and actions. At least with ice rods, there are much less choices. I use single foot fly guides for those.

No better way than to dive into it I suppose. I have a couple one piece rods designed and the prototypes should be here soon.

I know a lot of this boils down to personal preference or what the customer wants, but I am totally open to suggestions on anything. Especially guide sizes. I have what I think will work but any input is great.

Date: April 14, 2024 06:32AM

For spin go to AnglersResource.net, link in left margin, hit the "menu" and go to their software. I really like their KR arrangements, so if you want to go there use the KR software. It has a lot to do with what line you are planning + what size reel. I use the KR software and it really works well. for the reduction guides. I arrange the running guides using the two line stress test. KB and KT runners, sized so planned knots will pass easily.. If in doubt I would start with size 5 and see how they work.

Posted by: MichaelTarr (---)
Date: April 14, 2024 07:56AM

I’m a KR-Concept fan boy but for your idea American Tackle has these Air guides you could consider. I’d want to keep a light rod as light as possible but I don’t know the weight difference of AT’s Air compared to Fuji’s RV-H, i’d assume the Air’s lighter. You could use Fuji’s RV-H for the KR-Concept if your cool with spending $40 for a 16H with a SiC ring. I have used Minima guides for UL builds without fail but they’re double foot’s do not look and sleek as the Air guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster