I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Roller guides, space from tip to 1st and setting the stripper questions
Posted by: Jon Sterritt (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 12, 2024 02:33PM

A couple details I found myself debating when putting a gunnel rod together (ie #6 bent butt sort to be used out of a swivel holder), were space between tip top & first guide, and how to set the stripper for proper loading, what are your thoughts?

On the tip top versus 1st guide, I've seen some professional builders literally making it so the foot on the 1st guide touches the shaft of the tip top. Also have seen them 8 inches apart. I noticed myself, with 80# Winthrops, there is some potential clearance issue where something like a crimp might clip the area of the tip top just aft of the roller if you put the 1st roller back too far, but also if you stuff the 1st guide up against the tip top, the 1st guide practically takes the place of the roller tip where you might see the line floating within the tip top and not on the roller at times. Also seems to create a strange structure if there is no space between tip top and 1st guide, like the first 4 inches of the tip is very rigid. What are the correct considerations here?

On the placement of the stripper guide. Is there a standard for how the loading should be? For instance I noticed up to about 10 lbs, this blank, the line ran on the top roller. At 15 lbs it kinda split the rollers, at 20 lbs it rested on the bottom roller, and as you got up into the drag range the rod would be used for (ie > 30 lbs) the line well-loaded the bottom roller. Of course, too far up the blank and you might clip the handle when the rod is loaded, but outside of that, what are the considerations to give locating a stripper guide?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roller guides, space from tip to 1st and setting the stripper questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 13, 2024 09:48AM

For general purposes, if you put the first guide about 5 inches behind the tiptop (roller to roller), you'll have a good starting place.

The butt guide (not stripper - those are on fly rods) is a bit more tricky. Due to the height of so many offshore type reels, you often find a top roller on the guide to keep the line within the guide frame until you get some line out and/or get a good load on the rod. You will want the line on the bottom roller before you reach a load that slips the drag (whatever that amount is for you). I can't give you a measurement without knowing the particular reel you'll be using, but this is a good place to start.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster