I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guerilla epoxy ramps
Posted by: Joshua Soneson (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2024 10:39PM

Is there a way to make an epoxy ramp without a rod wrapper/dryer? I'm building my first rod with minimal overhead, nothing fancy just getting the parts together. When I drilled out my fighting butt the bit gouged out a bit of cork so I've got a void right where the blank enters. No big deal but now that it's on there it would be nice to conceal my noobery behind an epoxy ramp. Can it be done? Maybe wait until finishing epoxy gets super viscous, apply, and set the rod to dry vertically? What would you do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guerilla epoxy ramps
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 29, 2024 07:08AM

If you have a drill press you can adapt it to turn ramps out of cork or reel seat arbors, If you want details, email me.

I've never liked epoxy ramps, but it can be done about like you suggest. I have done it with gel epoxy.

Another possibility is to mix some cork dust with gel epoxy and fill the defect, then use a winding check if I'm interpreting the void correctly.

Posted by: Al Jones (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 29, 2024 07:29AM

I've done many of them and just use the propaste I use for handles but cover it with thread when done so if you can't wrap over it the color won't look good. I dab some on then use a thread burnisher lightly dipped in alcohol to shape it. Just spin slowly and clean it up and set vertically like you said. Thread wrap over it can be tricky when your wraps try to slip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2024 07:42AM by Al Jones.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: March 29, 2024 08:14AM

Sounds like an application for a winding check vs a epoxy ramp

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 29, 2024 09:16AM

Ah....... the winding check, they add nothing to the structural integrity of the rod, BUT cosmetically they can add to the beauty of the rod also, hide blemishes, gaps or other mistakes.

I prefer winding checks over epoxy ramps.

Have fun

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: March 29, 2024 12:01PM

Use a 5 cent winding check. Easy, simple, inexpensive and they work very very well. In your case, just put a bit of epoxy in the hole with the rod held vertical and then slide the winding check down tight to the face of the cork and wipe off any epoxy that squeezes out from under the check and you will be good t go. Do, a thread wrap in front of the check to further stabilize and dress up the winding check.

Posted by: Ernie Blum (---)
Date: March 29, 2024 06:40PM

I am definitely in the +/- cork dust and epoxy filler perhaps just by itself, but a winding check on top of this is the ticket. Unless you're some sort of sculptor, this will give you a perfect cosmetic finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster