I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC SJ732 - actual weight? + bonus NFC questions.....
Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 19, 2024 09:38AM

I have a hard time with the NFC blank catalog and published weights/powers/line weight and lure weight ratings.

There, I said it.

So, I'm looking to build myself a series of walleye/smallmouth jigging/rigging/etc rods for my own use here in northern Wisconsin. I'm looking at the X-Ray SJ732 - it has a published weight rating of 2.1 oz. That seems extraordinarily heavy, based on the next blank up - the SJ703 (yes, 3" shorter) published at 1.48oz. The 703 has a size 4 tip, and the 732, a size 5 tip (in the catalog, on the order page, the 732 is listed with a 4.2 tip.....). It just seems really odd. Has anyone weighed a SJ732, or could you do so if you have one handy? Opinions on the SJ732 as an all around walleye jigging rod? Is there a better option? Up here, we are throwing live bait on 1/16-1/8 oz jigs early season - is the 732 too much rod for these weights?

A couple more questions - has anyone built on the FW702 as a crappie jig casting rod? Light power, XF action - I'm wondering if it will be similar to the outstanding St. Croix Panfish series rods?

FInally the Delta series - in terms of 'sensitivity', and crispness (for lack of a better term) - how do they compare to the X-Ray, HM, etc blanks? Are you giving up anything with the Deltas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC SJ732 - actual weight? + bonus NFC questions.....
Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: March 19, 2024 12:20PM

I got the SJ732 blank but chose not to use it. I believe mine weighed 2.18 ounces (deal breaker for me). My SJ703's (X-rays) have consistently weighed 1.28 oz. (mirror polished version). The C6O2's I got have come out to the same weight. The SJ 732 has considerable more backbone, almost too much for my preferences. All the bend is just in the tip, I question how well it would throw an 1/8 oz. bait (but don't know for sure as I haven't built it). I am getting ready to start a SJ703 (xray) for someone and the tip measured 5. Personally, I felt the SJ703 to be a hair softer than I would have preferred, but it is fast becoming my favorite drop shot and ned rig rod. The C6O2 version does seem a hair stiffer, and I have started to build them "against the grain" (on the spine) to try and get them a little more on the stiffer side. I can't find a personal use for the SJ732 yet, but I am a tournament bass fisherman. It might make a good tube rod.

Posted by: Rick Handrick (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: March 19, 2024 01:43PM

Thanks John - very helpful! Am I reading your post correctly - the 703 is actually lighter in power than the 732?

Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: March 19, 2024 05:55PM

I recently purchased the 732. It’s a bit much rod for 1/16 to 1/8th oz jigs. It ended up being a bit more rod than I expected but I’m gonna spin it up anyway. It might be great for 1/4 paddle tails and such.

Posted by: Todd Jensen (---.midco.net)
Date: March 19, 2024 05:56PM

Sorry 1/4 oz. Is what I meant above

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: March 19, 2024 06:06PM

Rick Handrick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks John - very helpful! Am I reading your
> post correctly - the 703 is actually lighter in
> power than the 732?

Yes, mostly because of the backbone difference. I use the SJ703 for Great Lakes smallmouth. It has no issues casting a drop shot weight of 5/8oz. with a plastic bait, nor any issues with 6lb smallmouth. Jury is still out for me regarding its effectiveness on Texas rigged shakey heads. I have a few fish get off and I'm not sure if its because the rod can't get the hook penetrated, or just coincidence (many get hooked up nicely). The SJ732 may have a soft tip, but its only about the first 12" or so, then it goes into a fairly stiff backbone.

Posted by: Ken Delbridge (192.55.54.---)
Date: March 19, 2024 08:41PM

I still think people overlook the MB734 HM and MB735 HM for finesse jig/bottom fishing for bass, I love those blanks. They aren't for fishing heavy cover/trees, but for open water structure fishing? Amazing blanks that cast light baits superbly.

Confusion on NFC ratings - I have found the line ratings to be a better guide over anything else and have held pretty accurate to their claim. I also reference the CCS data log for any unfamiliar blank of interest, so I can compare it to something I already know/have built on for reference. The only area CCS has come up short for me is on saltwater builds.

As for a panfish rods, the DS6107 IM can double as a 4-8lb dropshot rig or an effective panfish rod, great blank for either (die hard dropshotters may curse me for this suggestion, but that blank is great for crappie fishing too).

As far as the Delta line goes for sensitivity... They aren't bad, but aren't quite as crispy as the IM or HM blanks when feeling bottom, and will run a little heavier too (which many will argue decreases "sensitivity"). With that out of the way - the Delta is still a better blank than most low/mid range retail bass rods I have fished in the past. The Delta's tend to be a little stiffer than their IM or HM siblings as well, which for close quarters heavy cover bass fishing, has some advantages when you need to move a fish. Most of my personal, moving-bait, bass rods are Delta or Delta/Zentron hybrids at this point - they are great blanks.

Hope this helps.

Posted by: Brian Jackson (---)
Date: March 19, 2024 08:51PM

I bought a sj732 nearly 3 years ago anticipating a “light” action for the same technique your after. Needless to say the blank sat in the corner till this year when i built it in casting configuration to flatline troll crankbaits. It is rated very strange in my opinion as it almost seems to be a mag-bass taper with a lighter tip section. Definitely more backbone then the Sj703. I built a P702 hm last fall that seems about right for 1/16-1/8 jig/minnow combination. It is a true “light” action in my opinion. Have built a few sj703’s for myself and friends. Its a great rod for that 1/4-1/2oz range. Currently working on an IS703. It is a different blank then the SJ703. Seems a tad lighter in action and is smaller diameter towards the butt

Posted by: Rick Handrick (165.189.255.---)
Date: March 20, 2024 09:23AM

Brian Jackson Wrote:
> I bought a sj732 nearly 3 years ago anticipating a
> “light” action for the same technique your
> after. Needless to say the blank sat in the corner
> till this year when i built it in casting
> configuration to flatline troll crankbaits. It is
> rated very strange in my opinion as it almost
> seems to be a mag-bass taper with a lighter tip
> section. Definitely more backbone then the Sj703.
> I built a P702 hm last fall that seems about right
> for 1/16-1/8 jig/minnow combination. It is a true
> “light” action in my opinion. Have built a few
> sj703’s for myself and friends. Its a great rod
> for that 1/4-1/2oz range. Currently working on an
> IS703. It is a different blank then the SJ703.
> Seems a tad lighter in action and is smaller
> diameter towards the butt

I actually found the IS703 yesterday when looking again at the NFC site, and it jumped out to me as a good potential candidate. I'll give the P702 a look too. I do like popping blanks as generally really good all-around blanks.

Thanks all for the feedback - really valuable info!!

Posted by: Robert Henry (57.140.108.---)
Date: March 20, 2024 04:06PM

Rick,

I have built a few SJ703 and IS703 blanks, both as casting and spinning. Both rods are great and would suit what you are looking for, it just depends on how fast of an action you prefer. A couple of the SJ703s I built are up in Minnesota to being used as smallmouth/walleye rods, very sensitive and have had great feedback form their owners. The SJ are noticeably faster than the IS, as advertised on the NFC site and I'd recommend the SJ for what you're requesting.

Or buy both..they're on sale!

Posted by: John Santos (---)
Date: March 20, 2024 04:40PM

Ken Delbridge Wrote:
> I still think people overlook the MB734 HM and
> MB735 HM for finesse jig/bottom fishing for bass,
> I love those blanks. They aren't for fishing
> heavy cover/trees, but for open water structure
> fishing? Amazing blanks that cast light baits
> superbly.
>
> Confusion on NFC ratings - I have found the line
> ratings to be a better guide over anything else
> and have held pretty accurate to their claim. I
> also reference the CCS data log for any unfamiliar
> blank of interest, so I can compare it to
> something I already know/have built on for
> reference. The only area CCS has come up short
> for me is on saltwater builds.
>
> As for a panfish rods, the DS6107 IM can double as
> a 4-8lb dropshot rig or an effective panfish rod,
> great blank for either (die hard dropshotters may
> curse me for this suggestion, but that blank is
> great for crappie fishing too).
>
> As far as the Delta line goes for sensitivity...
> They aren't bad, but aren't quite as crispy as the
> IM or HM blanks when feeling bottom, and will run
> a little heavier too (which many will argue
> decreases "sensitivity"). With that out of the
> way - the Delta is still a better blank than most
> low/mid range retail bass rods I have fished in
> the past. The Delta's tend to be a little stiffer
> than their IM or HM siblings as well, which for
> close quarters heavy cover bass fishing, has some
> advantages when you need to move a fish. Most of
> my personal, moving-bait, bass rods are Delta or
> Delta/Zentron hybrids at this point - they are
> great blanks.
>
> Hope this helps.

The MB724 (X-ray) I tried was too stiff. Labeled a medium, but I felt it was more a medium heavy. Fine blank, if you’re looking for medium heavy. I won’t get anymore HM’s as I’ve gotten too many of those back broken (broke one myself).

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 20, 2024 07:21PM

Ken, my primary drop shot rod is a rod I built on the DS 6107 IM blank. You are absolutely right, it doubles as a dandy crappie rod, IMO it's a little too much for the under 1/16th oz stuff, but otherwise, it works great. Also a great perch rod. Especially if you're using a double hook rig.

I actually think it's a little under powered as a drop shot rod in some instances. Really good on the inland lakes I fish. Not so much in the deeper waters of Lake Erie.

And all the talk about the SJ 732 has me thinking it might be a blank I'd like to give a shot as a Lake Erie drop shot rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster