I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Top Ring Upsizing
Posted by: Joe Samluk (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2024 02:16PM

I've seen some posts suggesting using a tip top guide 1/2 size to 1 size larger ring. For example in my saltwater builds I will use size 8 running guides. Was planning to use a size 8 tip top. Would builders typically upsize to a size 10, more "case by case" depending on line, shooting head, etc., or otherwise not very common?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Top Ring Upsizing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2024 02:48PM

Why do this? You always want to use the smallest guides and top that will pass your line and required connections. If a #8 will do that, what advantages does a #10 offer?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: March 18, 2024 02:55PM

I built a saltwater rod in 1985 for jigging wrecks and reefs in Florida, having no real experience with what the rod should have I went with what I knew and what I wanted the rod to be, thinking if I was off the mark, I could always rebuild it when it failed, thing is it never failed, no matter what line/weight/ top shot combo I put through it or the size fish tied to the other end. My final Pac Bay TV guides and PT tip top are 10 mm, like Tom said no need to upsize anything. To be on the safe side it wouldn't hurt to use one of the more modern frame designs that wrap around the ceramic more than mine do.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: March 18, 2024 05:18PM

I can see the point of using a larger tip top along with larger running guides, if there are conditions possible where something like that would help, like guides potentially icing up, or on the water debris clogging up the guides. But that kind of stuff affects the entire guide train, not just the tip top.

I'm with Tom ..... I don't see any scenario where just a larger tip top is going to be of benefit.

Posted by: Joe Samluk (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: March 18, 2024 06:23PM

Perfect. Thank you. I had no argument for doing it other than saw a few posts where guys mentioned they do it. 100% understand Tom's logic but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---)
Date: March 19, 2024 12:54PM

Are you sure that the recommendation of 1/2 to 1 size larger was not referring to the tube…. than the ring…

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: March 19, 2024 02:49PM

I've often seen that recommedation to upsize the tip top r9ng size.

The usual justification is to make it easier for line to leader knot connections to "turn the corner" so to speak and get into the guide train when under load.

From that standpoint, the marginally flatter surface the knot is passing over could make it less likely to hang up with you've got a fish on or when using a high resistance lure.

From a casting standpoint, it has no benefit and is probably a net negative.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2024 02:50PM by Patrick Coco.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster