I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Not so "clean" threads ...
Posted by: Tolo Mentes (193.243.141.---)
Date: March 14, 2024 05:34AM

Hello!

When I'm wrapping my guides to blank and adding some trimms or in-lays (simple things) I notice that sometimes some "visible problems" stay under the thread.

And today I was watching the MudHole video and saw that they had the same problem.

PICTURE: [prnt.sc]

Is there any way to remove this problem or to avoid it?

Regards!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not so "clean" threads ...
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 14, 2024 07:41AM

The only way I've found to avoid it is to burnish with significan pressure on the burnishing tool. You might shorten the length to minimize it too. I put them on the bottom where they are less likely to show, but for the most part, once the rod is done and put into service, I don't notice any of the "defects" the wraps may have.

I expect size A thread will show it less than bigger threads, but I don't really know since I don't use them.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2024 09:37AM

I would echo what Michael said about shortening the pull-through or start tag. Also, if you locate them all on the same axis they look as if they are intended rather than some sort of random helter-skelter type thing.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 14, 2024 09:52PM

Tolo Mentes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello!
>
> When I'm wrapping my guides to blank and adding
> some trimms or in-lays (simple things) I notice
> that sometimes some "visible problems" stay under
> the thread.
>
> And today I was watching the MudHole video and saw
> that they had the same problem.
>
> PICTURE: [prnt.sc]
>
> Is there any way to remove this problem or to
> avoid it?
>
> Regards!

Before I pull the short stub of wrap thread thru, I unravel the thread so no twist then pull thru. Doesn't completely fix it, but lessens it before burnishing it.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: March 15, 2024 11:18AM

What Michael and Tom said. And, I orient on the underside (opposite of guide).

Posted by: Jason Kraft (---.midco.net)
Date: March 16, 2024 11:03PM

I learned to call that the "dirty" side of the build. Try to keep all of that on one side. No real getting around it except to burnish. Also, I've found it is not normally visible once you epoxy the thread wrap.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: March 20, 2024 11:00AM

“Don’t be an art critic, but paint, there lies salvation.” – Paul Cézanne

Posted by: david taylor (---)
Date: March 20, 2024 09:13PM

Underside next time, and only you are ever going to notice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster