I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips for gluing an aluminum reel seat to a carbon fiber tube
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: March 07, 2024 09:25PM

I'm building a rod that will have the aluminum reel seat (https://voodoorods.com/products/alps-single-trigger-aluminum-reel-seat) glued direfectly to a glossy carbon fiber sleeve, no arbor/shim/tape needed or possible. I've glued up graphite seats before using carbon inserts and those worked fine.

Do I need to do anything different with the aluminum sleeve and the glossy carbon fiber tube? Any surface prep/light sanding needed or just proceed as usual?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips for gluing an aluminum reel seat to a carbon fiber tube
Posted by: Kurt Dikkers (---.clma.centurylink.net)
Date: March 07, 2024 10:07PM

When I epoxy aluminum I clean the surface, then steel wool it to remove the oxidation layer. It will begin to oxidize instantly so when I apply the epoxy I use emery cloth to grind in the epoxy. The epoxy keeps new oxidation from forming and the emery exposes unoxidized aluminum for the epoxy to adhere to. I have had very good success using this method.
My source for this method and the reasoning was from a McDonell Douglas engineer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2024 04:37PM by Kurt Dikkers.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (181.214.151.---)
Date: March 08, 2024 09:02AM

YES! And use West System GFlex 650 epoxy.
Herb
CTS

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: March 08, 2024 09:38AM

Read this article from the Library for some great info.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: March 08, 2024 10:19AM

Epoxy likes a 80 grit finish for adhesion, I would score all bonding surfaces just prior to application, Clean first with DNA.

Posted by: Tolo Mentes (---.static.siol.net)
Date: March 12, 2024 02:47AM

Good question!

I'm also thinking about the use of aluminium Alps reel seats and now I'm a little bit surprised that they are not so easy to glue like Fuji carbon ones. :)

I read the article and I understand the part which speaks about preparing the blank with Scotch-Brite, but how to do this work on the inside of the reel seat?

Or is it enough just to prepare the blank ("abrade away all the shine on a section of the test rod blank") and I don't have to work nothin inside the reel seat?

And one more thing - is blank prepering with Scotch-Brite also needed if I'm using the AT Carbon reel seat?

Thank you and regards!

Date: March 12, 2024 08:30AM

Tolo,

I made an inexpensive tool to prep the inside surface of a tube:

I bought a small length of solid aluminum rod from a hardware store. Then, I took a hack saw and cut a slit in the end of the rod, down its length, about 0.75 inches long. Next, cut a strip of Scotch Brite to fit the slit (about an inch wide and 2-inches long) and slide it into the "forks" of the rod. Scrub and rotate the aluminum rod or reel seat as you go. Works well!

Visually inspect the inside of the reel seat for any shiny spots after a thorough scrubbing.

One could also use a shotgun cleaning rod and patch holder in place of the aluminum rod, though the patch holder opening is not large enough for me.

I surface prep ALL mating surfaces as the article suggests.

Posted by: Tolo Mentes (---.static.siol.net)
Date: March 13, 2024 08:24AM

Thank you for your reply and ideas!

Just one more thing - do you use this tool only for aluminium reel seats or for carbon reel seats too?

Regards!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 13, 2024 08:43AM

Chris Rosell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxy likes a 80 grit finish for adhesion, I would
> score all bonding surfaces just prior to
> application, Clean first with DNA.

Chris,

Unfortunately, that's not actually true. Epoxy prefers a smooth, deglossed surface (water break free) for best adhesion. See the article by chemist Ralph O'Quinn in the online library here.

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: March 13, 2024 01:08PM

Les Cline Wrote:
> Tolo,
>
> I made an inexpensive tool to prep the inside
> surface of a tube:
>
> I bought a small length of solid aluminum rod from
> a hardware store. Then, I took a hack saw and cut
> a slit in the end of the rod, down its length,
> about 0.75 inches long. Next, cut a strip of
> Scotch Brite to fit the slit (about an inch wide
> and 2-inches long) and slide it into the "forks"
> of the rod. Scrub and rotate the aluminum rod or
> reel seat as you go. Works well!
>
> Visually inspect the inside of the reel seat for
> any shiny spots after a thorough scrubbing.
>
> One could also use a shotgun cleaning rod and
> patch holder in place of the aluminum rod, though
> the patch holder opening is not large enough for
> me.
>
> I surface prep ALL mating surfaces as the article
> suggests.

I ended up wrapping some scotch brite around a reamer I have, secured it tightly in place with some masking tape in 2 spots and then put it in my drill chuck. Worked great. Thanks for the ideas and walkthrough. Hopefully the bond will hold up to the torque from 100lb+ bluefin on an XH SPJ rod.

Date: March 15, 2024 10:26AM

Tolo -

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I surface prep all parts that will be epoxied together, for almost all material types: graphite, aluminum, and plastic. I prep wood also if it has a hard and smooth coating (varnish or high polish). If it has a shine to it, I "de-gloss" it with Scotch Brite. Some metals may not show much change because they are very hard, but I prep them anyway. (I might resort to a 600-800 fine grit, wet/dry sand paper in such cases.)

It's easy to check to see if a material surface needs prep by putting a drop of water on it - if the water beads (like on a waxed car hood) and does not spread out, it needs some prep work. I want a water-break-free situation on the surface of all mating parts that will get epoxy. You will know break-free when you see it.

No need to overwork it. No need for grooves, gouges, scratches, or an overly rough surface - these actually make a weaker bond and may damage the material. Just get the surface to water-break-free condition and you've done the best job that can be done. (As I recall the conversation with Mr. O'Quinn, he developed this technique when the Air Force sent him and a team to experiment with laminated materials for super light and super strong airplane wings. The article above reveals what he and his team of scientists discovered!)

I do not use Scotch Brite on foam arbors, cork rings, or other materials I have reamed or sanded beforehand. These are ready to go.

If in doubt, water bead it out.

And I do NOT clean up my prepped parts with anything other than a dry, lint-free rag (or paper towel).. NO solvents for clean up as they may defeat what you are trying to achieve by leaving a residue behind.

Patrick -

I like your tube-reamer idea a lot! Easier to make your tool than mine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2024 10:45AM by Les Cline.

Posted by: Chris Rosell (---)
Date: March 16, 2024 05:08AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Chris Rosell Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Epoxy likes a 80 grit finish for adhesion, I
> would
> > score all bonding surfaces just prior to
> > application, Clean first with DNA.
>
> Chris,
>
> Unfortunately, that's not actually true. Epoxy
> prefers a smooth, deglossed surface (water break
> free) for best adhesion. See the article by
> chemist Ralph O'Quinn in the online library here.
>
> ..........

Of course I did not mean the blank, My inference to expertise is misguided. What I did omit out of just wanting to be a helping influence is that I do not scuff rod blanks with 80 grit. My knowledge comes from the automotive restoration industry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster