I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Arbor size question
Posted by: Brent Murray (---.254.165-wireless-26.ckt.net)
Date: February 04, 2024 10:17AM

Good day all, my blanks should be in midweek. Can’t wait to get started. I’ll get my measurements to order the reel seats and winding checks and wait for them.
I’m going to be installing Fuji ESCM size 16 reel seats. My question is what size arbor do I need. The Fuji foam arbor seat has the following sizes: Polyurethane reel seat arbors LFA15 - 120mm long - 15mm OD - 6.3mm ID and LFA15.7 - 105mm long - 15.7mm OD - 6.3mm ID. The other item available are the following: Polyurethane reel seat arbors SHIM/16 - .59" OD - 3.7" long - for use on most size 16 reel seats and SHIM/16/WG - .515" OD - 3" long - for use on smaller spinning & split seats.
Which ones have any of you used? And another question is how hard are they to ream to the correct size?
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks, Brent Murray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Arbor size question
Date: February 04, 2024 10:24AM

I think I answered my own question. I am pretty sure that I need the Fuji 15.7 mm OD. The other brand seems way to small after doing the conversion to mm.But any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Brent Murray

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2024 10:53AM

I just measured the ID of the threaded barrel of Fuji ECSM casting reel seat, it is right at 15 mm. Since it’s an exposed blank reel seat, the back half of the reel seat is sized to fit your blank. So, epoxy about a 1” arbor the front half of the reel seat, and once cured then ream it to fit the blank. One of my favorite reel seats.
[www.google.com]
Norm

Date: February 04, 2024 01:02PM

Thanks Norm, I saw the information you provided in an earlier post and it got me to thinking. Glad my question was answered. Also, why only one inch? The schematic on the Fuji catalog shows the front of the barrel is just a skosh over 2” (55mm). Have you ever made an arbor out of cork?
Thanks again, Brent

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: February 04, 2024 01:26PM

Don’t really need two inches. You will be supported at both the front and the back ends of the reel seat. However, if you want to use 2” then go ahead and do it. No problem either way.
Norm

Posted by: Brent Murray (207.254.165.---)
Date: February 04, 2024 04:23PM

Understand, thanks again Norm.

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: February 04, 2024 09:20PM

Brent, the ECSM reel seats are sized to fit your blank based on the seats inside diameter. So you'll pick which inside diameter size 16 fuji ecsm you need based on the measurement of the blank where the reel seat will sit.

They do not use any arbor or shim. They fit the blank securely on their own.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---)
Date: February 04, 2024 10:16PM

On fitted seats like ECSM I pack the front opening with epoxy, no arbor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster