I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seat Diameter
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 03, 2024 10:35AM

I was speaking with a gentleman this morning who asked about the proper reel seat diameter and the factor given in my book on ergonomics. He felt it delivered a seat that was actually too large in diameter and during the conversation I realized that many rod builders equate the model number of the reel seat with its diameter. They are not the same and this may be where some confusion has occurred.

A common size 18 reel seat has a diameter of about 22mm. A size 20 will have a diameter of roughly 24 to 25mm. Remember, the model number indicates the inside bore size, not the outside diameter. Your hand deals with the outside diameter (which may also include the seat hoods and reel foot depending on how you hold the rod).

I had thought that most rod builders understood that seat model numbers indicate the inside bore size. Perhaps not. It's something that I'll have to put in a sidebar if I do a 2nd printing of the book. In the meantime please keep in mind that the seat's ID (bore) and OD are quite a bit different.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seat Diameter
Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 03, 2024 01:54PM

like guide ring size is OD of the ring, just opposite what one would think.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 03, 2024 11:43PM

Guide size is the ID of the guide frame.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: February 04, 2024 03:14PM

yep, but not ID like a person would think, which I think most interest is intended as to what size will pass the line or knots right?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: February 04, 2024 05:44PM

I've found over quite a while now that many overexaggerate the size needed though, I handed them a rod built smaller with the same line/leader combo and it works just fine. I didn't even have to build a new rod to change my opinion, I've been using a match guided set of rods with 4 mm guides for decades. Built a casting versions to see what was up on that side also long ago because of it.
Was liking the larger diameter reel seats long before I knew why, G Loomis and Lamiglas rods had the larger diameter reel seats, or the Wiebe seats, my old Fenwick FS 83 S had the large aluminum reel seat with the hidden rear hood in the rear grip, really, they were used a lot in the Pac. NW. for a long time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2024 05:54PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: February 04, 2024 08:52PM

When they started measuring ring size the ring was part of the frame. It only became confusing when they started using inserts. and no, I don't remember when that was. Lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster