I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Paint Pens
Posted by: Sean Kopec (---.sttlwax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: January 29, 2024 06:36PM

Hi All,

New, but not new. Just started more rod building so I'm sure I will have many questions. First question, I'm building a rod for a friend of mine's son, 22 years old, that I was building for my friend. Sadly, he passed. So I'm going to give it to his son. I wanted to write some thing on the blank but have been unsuccessful with paint pens. Too translucent.... not fine enough etc. Any direction would be appreciated.

Sean Kopec

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint Pens
Posted by: Tom Harrigan (---)
Date: January 29, 2024 07:10PM

I followed this method with some success, still need to practice more:

[flexcoat.com]

Sorry about your friend -

Tom

Date: January 29, 2024 09:03PM

Thanks Tom, I'll check out the video.

Sean

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: January 30, 2024 12:32AM

Calligraphy pens are definitely the best way to get really fine writing, but there’s a long learning curve to get good at it. I found the Posca Uni pen to be really easy to write with, but it is not as fine, though finer than any other paint pen I’ve found. Another trick I found that allows for much nicer writing is to write on the clear water slide transfer film, then attach that “label” to the blank. I have much better penmanship writing on a flat surface, than trying to write on a curved blank.

Posted by: jonathan utz (---.inf6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 30, 2024 11:36AM

I've had very good results with Sakura gelly roll pens in white. About $10 from Walmart. Best part is mistakes are easily wiped off and redone. 1 coat of finish underneath and 1 or 2 coats on top. Solved a lot of problems for me.

Posted by: Sean Kopec (---)
Date: January 30, 2024 11:45AM

Thanks everyone!! I spent quite a bit of time Researching last night. I tried to do some searches on the site but did not get much in results however when I just Google search it usually came back to results from this forum. I think I would like to try the dip pen technique I think it's the same as the caligraphy. For the Gelly Roll pens, Is there a specific brand within their line it looks like they have a bunch of different pens.

Sean

Posted by: Robert Henry (57.140.28.---)
Date: January 30, 2024 12:44PM

Sean,

I have used both calligraphy and jelly roll pens. Sakura 0.8 seems to work best. Pros are they are cheap and easy to use. You can wipe off mistakes no problem. But they need to dry for about 12-24 hours before a top coat or they will smear, they are also sensitive to the touch before being coated so intricate writing can be tricky. Hit your base coat of epoxy with 1000 grit before you write on it to prevent runs and get cleaner lines. A practice blank or a blank wrapped with paper or tape to practice helps mastering the skill of writing on a round narrow surface.

Calligraphy pens produce a cleaner product, but require more of a learning curve. If you're looking for a 1 time simple message use sakura.

Posted by: Sean Kopec (---)
Date: January 30, 2024 12:52PM

Great ideas!!! I'll play with em. Picked up a couple Gelly roll pens today. I like the caligraphy pen idea for clean lines.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: January 30, 2024 01:00PM

I use Dr Ph. Martin’s Irridescent Calligraphy ink with a fine nib pen. It’s the best stuff I’ve ever used. You can coat it with finish epoxy without any fears of it smearing, even within a few minutes after it dries. Easy to erase mistakes using alcohol. I use gold, silver, or black.
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 31, 2024 05:34PM

Hello All.

Here are some articles on inscriptions:

Volume/Issue..........Article..........Author.......................Page.
12/6 Inscription Diamond. By Randy Duket. 18
16/5 Inscriptions, A Foundation For… Better Hand Inscriptions. By Tom Kirkman & Dave Mayer. 22
3/4 Inscriptions, Fixing Mistakes (in the area). 22
2/3 Inscriptions, For Your Custom Rod. 10
2/3 Inscriptions, Gel & Paint Pens. 12
13/5 Inscriptions, Hidden in Plain Sight (Invisible Ink Identification Markings). By Tom Kirkman. 10
2/3 Inscriptions, Labels, Computer Generated . 15
3/4 Inscriptions, Labels; Metallic Colors On An Ink Jet? 24
2/3 Inscriptions, Pen & Ink. 11
2/3 Inscriptions, Printers, Dye Sublimation . 18
2/3 Inscriptions, Transfer Lettering. 13
2/3 Inscriptions, Useful Hints For Making Better Rod Inscriptions. 19

Enjoy.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: February 02, 2024 03:18AM

Over the years, I have used many products.

Currently, I use a fine tipped dip pen with Ball acrylic ink.

It does an excellent job. The ink dries quickly and one can apply finish an hour after application.

However, one note of caution. When applying finish - Do NOT brush the finish in any area where there is an inscription. Rather, apply a generous coat of finish and let the finish flow over the inscription, with no brush contact. Let the finish flow over the inscription and then use a brush on the opposite side of the rod to dab off any excess finish.

Best wishes.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 02, 2024 07:05AM

I, like Norman, have found the Dr. Ph Martin Irridescent Calligraphy ink to be the best for this function.

The burnishing of the pen nib as shown in the first video by Flex Coat is very important, too.

Date: February 03, 2024 12:52PM

Thanks all. It looks like there are many "fine" tips for dip pens. Any ideas on which size works best? @Robert how can I access the back issues?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 03, 2024 04:40PM

The size depends on your preference. I would start quite fine and see how it works.

Date: February 03, 2024 05:47PM

I use the SpeedBall 102, 107, and 108 nibs. You can by a set of holders and nibs for about $10. Inexpensive but work well and you can buy them at most local hobby stores.
[www.amazon.com]
Norm

Posted by: Steven Paris (---.138.184.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 07, 2024 02:23PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the SpeedBall 102, 107, and 108 nibs. You
> can by a set of holders and nibs for about $10.
> Inexpensive but work well and you can buy them at
> most local hobby stores.
> [www.amazon.com]
> ketching-Project/dp/B0007ZJ8RO/ref=asc_df_B0007ZJ8
> RO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167153081649
> &hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12948283258312455399&hvpon
> e=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlo
> cphy=1020734&hvtargid=pla-93634385100&psc=1&mcid=0
> 5ba19f28ee733458be90d29621a0840&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5fet
> BhC9ARIsAP1UMgEnbP41Qr23fZYfNHlxxE7wcrKpQPApaJSXxh
> AyDsg67ve1idIBRc8aAhALEALw_wcB
> Norm

So i purchased this set. My question is how do you get the ink to flow from the pen. I was trying to use the silver.

Date: February 07, 2024 04:27PM

Shake the ink very well to make sure it is throughly mixed. The pen nib is dipped into the ink about 1/4 of its length, a small amount of ink will be held in the nib curve. Immediately draw a few lines on a piece of scrap paper to get the ink to flow and then write on the blank. If the ink doesn’t flow easily onto the paper or blank, then add a few drops of alcohol to the ink to thin it, mix well and try again. In my experience, a fresh batch of ink doesn’t need thinning, only when the ink has been around for a while. Make sure your nib is clean, I clean immediately after use with denatured alcohol. Sometimes the nib needs to be ‘polished’, this is done by gently stroking the nib point on a piece of wood. If the ink doesn’t flow after trying all of this then I don’t know what the problem is. I’ve been using a nib pen for about 45 years with no problems.

Date: February 07, 2024 05:33PM

Ok thanks. I did get them to flow but probably already messed up. I added a few drops of water not denatured alcohol. The ink cleans up with water so figured that would work. It did work though and I have finish over it. Thanks again

Date: February 07, 2024 05:57PM

Which ink did you get? I use Dr. Ph. Martins iridescent calligraphy ink. It is a metallic ink, which is opaque, waterproof, uv resistant, and permanent. It can be thinned with alcohol, but not sure about water. It will not run or smear when coated with epoxy, in fact I’ve coated it with PermaGloss with no problems. Been using this stuff for a very long time, and it’s the best ink I’ve ever used. It flows very well off the nib, and if you make a mistake you can erase it with alcohol. Hope you have good luck with it..
Norm

Date: February 07, 2024 08:58PM

Thats what i purchased in gold and silver but i think mine is water based.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2024 09:08PM by Steven Paris.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster