I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NFC LMX MB758-4 - Any information?
Posted by: Rob Carey (---)
Date: January 20, 2024 05:12PM

Hello,

Looking at the LMX MB758-4.

Says it's Fast action rated 1-6oz .

Curious of the bend profile and actual "sweet spot" on that lure rating. I was hoping it was more in the 1-3oz than the 3-6oz.

Thank you if any one has info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NFC LMX MB758-4 - Any information?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 20, 2024 07:47PM

After looking at the descriptions of lure ratings of other blanks, I'm not convinced they mean casting lure weight, look at the MB 705-4, the lure rating is different then the rating for the one piece version which is I believe 1/4 to 3/4 oz. Travel rods most be more versatile in their information because you have to run with what you brung, there is no local tackle store, the closest could be 100+ miles away by boat or plane. If this is the case, then 3 oz. just may be the upper limit.

Date: January 21, 2024 07:36AM

Yes, the travel blank sections a bit of a mess.

I've made comments and seen no change.

It seems off to have numbering be all over the place. Blank weights, lure ratings...

I also go back to the 80/20 rule...why is there so many options. Most people want a 7' M, MH, H bass rod, a 6'10" walleye jig rod, a swimbait rod or 2, and some inshore and boat rods.

Currently they have 48 travel models!!! Half of that would still be an insane offering.

I appreciate what Alex and the team are going for, but I think it hinders overall QC standards. Make less SKUs and make them to a higher QC standard.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2024 12:59AM

Rob,

"I also go back to the 80/20 rule...why is there so many options. Most people want a 7' M, MH, H bass rod, a 6'10" walleye jig rod, a swimbait rod or 2, and some inshore and boat rods.

Currently they have 48 travel models!!! Half of that would still be an insane offering."

I have sales offices in Europe (France), Korea, Japan, Australia, not just the US, I am sorry that we did not consult with you as to the number of models we should release, I felt that getting input from my GM's and their pro staff at those locations based on what they need would suffice.

Joking aside -

1) Travel blanks have multiple ferrules, in our case 4 or 5 depending on the overall length of the blank (shorter blanks, like 6 footers, you can get away with 3)
2) Whenever you add a single ferrule, you slightly change the action/bend of a blank, adding 4 or 5 changes the action even more.
3) Ferrules also introduce a constraint - you are limited with what you can do in the OD/ID of the adjoining section, As the next section must become smaller, and at a much faster taper than normal "for that specific power/action/model
4) As the sections get smaller (even though they flex the same, they develop a thicker wall, that thicker wall results in a stronger blank for the same flex) [Lets say you have two blanks that flex exactly the same, the one with the thicker wall will be stronger, and will be able to safely cast a heavier lure, handle heavier line, take more abuse, etc.]
5) So, as it concerns travel blanks, we start with the one piece blank that we want to re-create, the action / power of the blank are the first considerations in our design, lure and line ratings are derivatives of the latter. Which is another way of saying that a MB705-4 has a very similar flex as the MB705-1 (same action and power) but in fact, due to the increased wall thickness of the blank, multiple ferrules, the lure and line ratings can handle a wider range. Think of a solid carbon blank - it can have the same action, flex, power, as a tube - but it can handle A LOT more in terms of its lure/line ratings. The 705-4 is almost a full ounce heavier than the one piece blank it was made to model, that's ferrules and wall thickness.

I'm pretty sure Norm answered the above in a post you made in an earlier thread - ^ that's a more in depth on the same.

"Yes, the travel blank sections a bit of a mess. I've made comments and seen no change."

No, they are not, There is nothing to change.

"It seems off to have numbering be all over the place. Blank weights, lure ratings..."

I hope my explanation helps.

"I appreciate what Alex and the team are going for, but I think it hinders overall QC standards. Make less SKUs and make them to a higher QC standard."

No.

Aleks

Date: January 22, 2024 07:32AM

Alex,

Am I wrong assuming....

A 5 power should be a 5 power. I don't care how many ferrule you add ... Adjust the wall thickness and make it perform like a 5 power...

Why do I want a 5 power that performs like an 8 power?

Now we have an overly heavy heavy blank that doesn't perform as intended...

I get the physical reasoning as to why there are changes. My question is, why don't you adjust the material and patterns to better reflect the 1-piece model you are trying to mirror?

You have top sellers, yet the travel blanks don't match those action or power. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Bend profile is irrelevant if I need to overload the blank.

Overall weight is important too when I look at 4-piece Daiwa Air Edge rods that come in under 140 grams built.

Posted by: Aleks Maslov (Moderator)
Date: January 22, 2024 02:38PM

Rob,

You missed my point, and I do not know how I can be any clearer.

We could have taken the 705-4 and gave it the same exact rating as the 705-1, we didn't, they got expanded ratings because that's what the blank can handle.

An overloaded 705-1 blank on a snap cast would break about 17-18 inches down from the tip. A 705-4 will not, because there is a ferrule there. Its not stiffer, its the same flex and the same action as the 705 (deflected against the original retain curve, with the same weight), but much stronger due to the property of it being a multi ferruled travel blank, so its gets an expanded line/lure rating.

When designing a travel blank, from an existing blank, the bend profile is anything but irrelevant. You are meeting the power, action, and deflection first and foremost, the lure ratings again, are derivates.

"why don't you adjust the material and patterns to better reflect the 1-piece model you are trying to mirror"

Thats what we did. The blank came out being able to handle a wider lure range, for the same flex and power.

Think of it this way -

If we design a one piece, carbon pultruded blank (no hole in the middle) to match everything about the 705 - there would be two things that are different. Its weight, and the amount of weight that blank can cast. It would have the same flex, action, power rating, but due to the fact that its a solid rod, when its being cast, there is no danger in the composite envelope collapsing. (there is no hole to oval and eventually cave) so the solid 705 would have the same action, power, flex, - but we able to handle a wider lure/line rating.

Aleks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster