I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color changing question
Posted by: Al purvis (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 15, 2024 01:07AM

Is it possible to buy an aluminum winding check and change the color? I’ve seen effects on metal that has a holographic/color change effect and I’m not sure the term, but was wondering if any of you knew what it’s called and if it is possible to do on winding checks and reel seats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color changing question
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 15, 2024 04:19PM

You could always paint them and put a clear coat over them. I used to custom paint a lot of my hard baits, crankbaits, jerkbaits and the like.

Createx is the brand of paint I used. It's water based and of course you'd want to airbrush it on, but they have some awesome color shifting paints. Once you paint something you let it dry, and then heat cure it. If I remember right you need 130 degrees for 5 - 10 minutes in the oven. After that you'd want to clear coat it to make it more durable. It stood up pretty well to the rash hooks cause on crankbaits, so would probably be fine on a reel seat or winding check.

Just a thought.

Posted by: Kendall Cikanek (---)
Date: January 15, 2024 04:41PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if BackCreek Custom Rods to the left could do this for you with some lead time. I don’t know if titanium and aluminum take a different process.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2024 04:43PM by Kendall Cikanek.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: January 15, 2024 06:44PM

I’ve started powder coating winding checks - just haven’t had a chance to get them up on the website yet. I do t currently have a color shift powder like I think you’re thinking about. I do have one with holographic flake which gives a color shifting effect. Drop me an email at backcreekcustomrods@gmail.com to discuss some ideas of interested.

Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: January 15, 2024 07:58PM

Maybe "anodizing" is what you are looking for? I believe it is a different process for titanium and aluminum.

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: January 16, 2024 04:03PM

Anodizing on neither aluminum or titanium will give a "color-shift" effect that the pearl-based paints do. Now, that said, some of the titanium guides I've anodized depending on various conditions somethings have a minor bnit of that effect... but its within the same color - unlike the true colorshifts that go across a broader spectrum with shifting angle of viewing.

I forgot that I had a copy of this uploaded to YouTube - it shows the color-shift effect of the micro-flake in "The Dark Side" color that I offer...

[youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster