I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Custom Labels for rods
Posted by: Ed Montgomery (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: January 12, 2024 12:32PM

I have built a number of fly rods this past year. They are all different sizes and weights, I have all of the info on the blanks I have used. The labels that came with the blanks are OK but I want my own custom label, nothing tacky just a small logo and the size, wt of the rod. Where can I get labels either made or make them myself. I am going to build 4 or 5 more rods this year so maybe a cheap label printer would work but dont know about them either. Also I need to know how to apply them for the best results.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Custom Labels for rods
Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: January 12, 2024 12:52PM

Decal Connection or Island Decals would be my choice.

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: January 12, 2024 01:31PM

Epson LW-C610PX Premium Portable Wireless Label Maker Machine for Home and Hobbies - $89 but you'll supply batteries. You can buy the plug in adaptor for another $20 I believe.

Buy one of these and make your own. Works through Bluetooth with an app on your phone. It has higher resolution for great labels on rods.

You'll need to purchase the right tape for what you want, either black on clear or white on clear. Metallic on clear exists as well. Tape can be bought through epson or through Decal Printers/LRT Group (one of the site sponsors): [www.lrtgroup.com]

Application is as follows:
1. Apply thin layer of finish to blank where label is to be applied and let cure.
2. Trim label close and avoid sharp corners.
3. Apply a long piece of scotch tape to surface of label, covering entire label
4. Apply small piece of scotch tape to BACKING of label as a sort of handle
5. Remove small piece of tape and label backing
6. Apply label to blank and burnish from inside out.
7. Slowly Remove scotch tape from burnished label.
8. Cover with thin layer of thread finish.

Here's a good video from mudhole. They don't mention applying the thin layer of finish first, but I find it helps hide the edges especially on matte finish blanks: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2024 02:47PM

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of decals-labels, it's hard to go wrong with Decal Connection. I believe that Mud Hole also offers a custom decal service.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: January 14, 2024 10:53AM

Hello Ed.

Here are a few articles about decals, have fun.

Volume/Issue............Article...............Author.................................Page.
26/2 Custom Graphics By Nuno Paulino. 16
12/1 Decal Tips & Tricks! Their Electric. By Tom Kirkman. 16
9/2 Decaling, The Art of. By Jimi Ellis. 22
12/1 Decals & Labels, They're Electric. By Bobby Feazel. 10
18/5 Decals For Your Custom Rod (From The Pearl Lable Makers). By Pat Barnard. 14

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Posted by: Brian Petters (---.knology.net)
Date: January 14, 2024 07:32PM

I second the recommendation to get a printer from LRTGroup. Larry is very helpful in setting up your system. Once you get it, you can play around with different looks to match your style and the size/color of the rod.

Good luck.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.29.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 14, 2024 07:52PM

I can't vouch for any another source than Decal Connection. Superb all the way around.

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---)
Date: January 28, 2024 08:31PM

If you need more information on the EPSON LW-610, let me know. I have them in stock. I also can offer our custom ribbon color of: Chrome Silver on Clear or on Black in 1/2" or 1" for this model.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2024 08:32PM by Larry Tobin.

Posted by: chris c nash (---.atmc.net)
Date: January 28, 2024 11:03PM

I'll give the same advice I give about power wrapping stations , if you're considering purchasing one ask yourself how many rods do you really plan on building and then decide if the cost makes sense . Same deal with labels , if you don't plan on building lots and lots of rods I would go with Decal Connection but if you do plan on getting heavily involved in the rod building business and don't mind the extra cost of a label maker and the accessories that go with it then by all means do what makes the most financial sense to you .

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---)
Date: January 28, 2024 11:29PM

What are you using to design your labels that you print yourself?

Date: January 29, 2024 02:13AM

For the Epson LW-C610PX, the Epson Label Editor Mobile App is what I use.

I also downlod free fronts to my phone from dafont.com so I can have more font options. As long as you're just using the labels for personal use (can't be making money from it) most of the fonts are free. If you want a license, you have that option as well for some of them.

Posted by: Brian Purdy (---)
Date: January 29, 2024 04:23PM

Decal connection is amazing. I have a fantastic experience with them for the orders I have placed.

Posted by: Larry Tobin (---)
Date: January 29, 2024 06:49PM

Using an EPSON decal printer, printing on a 1/2" wide standard tape will cost you about 0.06¢ per inch or using the 1" wide, standard tape will cost you about 0.07¢ per inch. You have control of font and graphics. This is a 1 color printer and all the EPSON printers come with software, apps and a Lifetime Warranty, no questions asked. We can send samples of any of our tapes.

Larry Tobin
LRT Group, Inc.
www.lrtgroup.com
larry@lrtgroup.com
954-257-6224

Date: January 30, 2024 10:29AM

Larry - really looking forward to the silver on clear and gold on clear I just ordered. I'll post some pics once I get a few labels on rods.

Has anyone experimented with painting below or on top of labels to add color to an otherwise 1 color label? Maybe printing a sort of cutout and adding color below it with paint to fill in the cutouts?

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.sub-174-203-35.myvzw.com)
Date: February 01, 2024 01:07PM

I use a Brother P-Touch label maker. They have gold, white, blue, green and red on clear.

Posted by: Ben Lori (---.103.147.96.tpia.cipherkey.com)
Date: March 15, 2024 11:18AM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use a Brother P-Touch label maker. They have
> gold, white, blue, green and red on clear.

Lance, what is the cartridge ref you're using in your P-Touch?

Posted by: David Parsons (---)
Date: March 15, 2024 11:37AM

I used decal connection for the first time and was very pleased with their service and choice of products. They're shipping rate was far.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 15, 2024 04:39PM

K-SUN PEARLABEL MAKER

Posted by: steve hall (---.lsan.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 15, 2024 05:58PM

Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
> Decal Connection or Island Decals would be my
> choice.

Hi Daryl, can you share a link to Island decal? i just seem to get Hawaiian island decal as a return.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (47.214.193.---)
Date: March 16, 2024 07:36AM

steve hall Wrote:
> Daryl Ferguson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Decal Connection or Island Decals would be my
> > choice.
>
> Hi Daryl, can you share a link to Island decal? i
> just seem to get Hawaiian island decal as a
> return.

I mis-typed. It's actually Decals by Island Time. I don't know if they have a website or not, but if you do a google search, their FB link will pop up. Another good option is Decal Connection. Their link is on the side of this page in the sponsor links.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster