I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide layout recommendations for nfc st 10105-2
Posted by: Dominic Meads (---.inf.spectrum.com)
Date: November 09, 2023 12:52AM

Hello all!

Im building a st 10105-2 for myself into a spiral wrapped float rod. I will be extending the blank about 5 inches to make it 11'3" (extension like in tom's article but with carbon tube instead of aluminum). Its an extra fast, medium heavy rod rated for .5 to 1.5 oz. 8-20lb line.

I have never built a spiral wrapped rod, and there is no guide spacing chart on nfc site. I like to use that a starting point before testing rods. I am buying torzite guides for it, and like the look of a 4 guide transition from 0 to 180 degrees.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how many other guides I should get? I always get 1 or 2 extra, but with torzite, 3 or 4 extra can get spendy, so I want to have some starting point.

Handle length will be longer for balance, maybe 16-18 inches from butt to start of reel seat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide layout recommendations for nfc st 10105-2
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2023 10:13AM

If they show a chart for that blank in a standard guides-on-top configuration, just use that as a starting point but put the guides on the bottom of the rod. You can keep the butt guide up top and dial in your transition to the others any way you want.

Re: Guide layout recommendations for nfc st 10105-2
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: November 09, 2023 10:36AM

Try 4 1/8, 8 3/4, 13, 18 5/8, 24 5/8, 33 1/2, 44 1/2, 56 1/2, 69 3/8" and then you're going to have to figure out your transition guides in there somewhere around the last couple guides point, as I have no idea what you like. I myself would never put that long a rear grip on the rod, it will hang up on everything you want to do while fishing, especially with foul weather gear on, 14 inches is plenty, at that length my 0 degree guide is in the 89" from the tip range. You'll never get a balanced rod that length, trust me. Lastly, I would just run a piece of yarn, fly line, etc. through my transition guides as a straight line reference instead of playing the angles game, it's faster and works just as well. For future reference when you change the length of a rear grip, you change the whole guide train layout as you also change the reel position, you have to have a starting point to have a finishing point. Guide choice depends on any knots, line used, and freezing temps on the water, etc. I remove any spool restrictions on the reel when float fishing, helps in mending and free spooling to extend the drift, educated thumb use only.
Hope I helped.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2023 11:01AM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster