I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Delfection Chart?
Posted by: Michael Tarr (50.238.140.---)
Date: October 13, 2023 02:30PM

Can someone explain how to interpret a deflection chart? I understand they used a 12oz weight and that’s it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Delfection Chart?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 13, 2023 03:18PM

There are lots of different deflection charts. Most use a standard weight which does not then account for rod action/taper. Which one are you referring to?

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: October 13, 2023 04:15PM

I would ask the publisher of the chart for help in interpreting it. We can give our considered opinions, but the most reliable explanation would come from the publisher.

I don't use them, only use CCS and TNF to evaluate my blanks and rods. I can see that they do have some value in a rough estimate of the action due to the shape the blank takes under load.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2023 04:58PM

It would be much easier to decipher what NFC's deflection chart is showing, if the rod were in a horizontal position. With the rod being at a 45 degree angle, weight added to the tip is going to exaggerate the angle of the tip. It also makes it difficult to determine how far the tip is being deflected by the weight, which if you could tell how far the tip was deflected at 90 degrees from the blank, you could determine to what degree the blank is loaded for a CCS IP measurement. There are ways you can can somewhat do it. But it's not accurate.

This is something that I tried recently. I pulled up the picture of the deflection chart for an SB 724 X ray blank. I took a piece of typing paper and placed it on my monitor and drew a line along the blank. I then took that outline of the blank and placed it in a horizontal position along the top line of the deflection chart. It appears that the squares on the chart are 4" x 4". I then counted the number of vertical blocks from the base line to where the tip of the blank would be. In the case of the SB 724 X ray blank, the tip is deflected 24" It would take 28" of deflection to be fully loaded per CCS standards, so the chart is not showing a CCS fully loaded blank. Also, loading a blank positioned at 45 degrees is going to over flex the tip, so the 24" of blank deflection isn't really 24". It's less than that.

Hopefully people can make sense of what I am trying to convey. I know I am having a hard time explaining it. Anyhow .....

What would really be helpful, at least to me, would be a set it up like this. I would have two pictures of the blank being deflected by weight. The pictures would show a rod in the position required by CCS, to determine the blanks' IP. One picture would show the blank with half the amount of weight of its' measured IP. Another picture would show the blank with the total amount of weight of its' IP. If that makes sense. lol While you couldn't get an exact AA number by viewing the pictures, you could get at least an idea of what the AA of the blank is. The reason for a picture of half the weight of an IP hanging from the tip, is because I believe it might give an idea of what the blank would look like on a hook set.

I don't know ....... hope I made some sense LOL

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: October 13, 2023 06:42PM

I understand what your saying David.

The pictured chart is from NFC and I was wondering what do the numbers and letters represent. From the comments I assume they mean nothing just their to look “technical” and to show the bend of the blank.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: October 13, 2023 08:44PM

Michael, the way I see it, the numbers and letters are there to identify reference points for comparing different blanks. Kind of in the same way CCS numbers are used for comparative purposes.

For instance. There is a current thread I have participated in where the thread author was asking if anyone has built a spinning rod on an SJ 732 X ray blank. In it, a member asked if the OP had looked at the SB 724 blank. I ordered an SB 724 blank that should be arriving very soon, so I posted my opinion based on the CCS numbers in the Rodbuilding. org blank data base for the SB 724 blank versus the CCS numbers for the SJ 732 data base numbers. The OP mentioned having an SB 722 blank that he liked but that it was lacking in hook set power. and that he had a rod built on an SB 724 but he hadn't fished it yet. Anyhow ....

So I pulled up the NFC deflection chart for each of the blanks mentioned, in separate windows so I could quickly switch between windows to compare their deflections. All three blanks are shown using 12 oz to deflect the blanks. Looking at the charts and seeing where different portions of the blanks intersected or traveled through the squares at different points gave me an idea of the different blanks characteristics. The SJ 732 and SB 722 are pretty similar in some respects, but different in others. The SJ 732 has a faster action and a longer section of what I would call backbone, than the SB 722, The 722 flexes further towards the butt. There were no CCS numbers for the SB 722 blank in the data base, but looking at the deflection compared to the SJ 732 blank, they look like they are pretty close in power, with the nod in power going to the SJ 732. How much is hard to say because the blanks are at a 45 degree angle. Were they horizontal I think you'd get a better idea of power difference.

The SB 724 doesn't flex as deeply and flexes more slowly (distance wise) indicating at least to me, that it has more power than either of the other two blanks. The tip also doesn't deflect as far vertically as the other two blanks. Indicating more power.

On their own singularly, the deflection chart isn't as valuable as it is when comparing the blanks, side by side so to speak, but you can see power differences and how the blank reacts to a specific load

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: October 13, 2023 10:24PM

I think we had this answered before some time ago, I believe it is the rod's pattern number.

Posted by: Kevin Fiant (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2023 10:31PM

Yep, what Spencer said. I believe it is the blanks pattern number and the weight.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: October 14, 2023 07:10AM

I’m getting it now… the graph is just a visual reference for comparison purposes, the letters and numbers being arbitrary, and the 854.86 is the blank model. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster