I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC baitcasting guide layout
Posted by: Ryan Edamatsu (---)
Date: September 29, 2023 12:23AM

I'm working on a 6 foot 4 medium heavy baitcaster. I'm trying to decide on guide sizes using Fuji LN and L frames.
My options are:

6 (x4), 7, 8, 10, 12
6 (x4), 7, 8, 10, 16
6 (x3), 7, 8, 10, 12, 16

This decision would be much easier if a size 14 do exist. I know I am being too particular with this, but it can't be helped. What are your opinions or experiences on baitcasting guide sizes?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC baitcasting guide layout
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 29, 2023 12:33AM

10, all 6s. This is for a standard bass small palmed bait caster.

Posted by: John Santos (38.22.141.---)
Date: September 29, 2023 01:12AM

I prefer KW’s and will do 7, 6, then all 5’s, or 5-1/2’s. Your “choke” guide is technically the level wind guide on a baitcaster, so I see no need to go any larger than a 7, especially when using a low profile reel. My preferences developed from use, not building, if that matters.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 29, 2023 09:37AM

You don't need all those different sizes. Use a butt guide and then make all the runners the same size. Better, straighter line flow this way.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr01.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 29, 2023 04:15PM

Fuji RV6, then whatever size you want to the end. The lighter the better for recovery speed. I use RV6 then two or three KB5's then KT5's to the end. Or even size 4 runners when I feel like it. They all work with the knots I need to pass.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 29, 2023 04:24PM

LN 10 at about 20" from the face of the reel. LN 7 next in line, probably around 8" in front of the LN 10. But that distance could vary based on what static guide placement would dictate. Then whatever size L guide runners you decide to go with after that. I personally would go with #5's.

The only guide I wouldn't place using the 2 line static load guide placement method is the LN 10 butt guide. A number 10 either LN or KW, (they're almost identical in height) is all you need as a butt guide. A 12 or 16 is not needed at all. And as has been said, you don't need a whole lot of different size guides on a bait casting rod, but if you want to, simply because it looks right to you, you could go with an LN 10, an LN 8, and then an LN 6 and then your running guides. It's not at all necessary, but it's not going to kill the performance of the rod, as my guess is with a rod that length, it's going to be used for cast and retrieve techniques, so the extra weight of the additional double foot guide isn't going to hurt you.

Also, based on my experience, I would caution on using a 7 as your butt guide if you're using heavy, stiff line. With stiffer line a guide of that height could lead to line control problems on the spool. Meaning it could cause a backlash to start more easily. I say this based on my one casting rod having a KW 8 as the butt guide. When I use 10 or 12# fluorocarbon on the rod it casts wonderfully. When I have gone to 20# fluorocarbon on that same rod, I have to be more delicate with line control on the spool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster