I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First wood fly rod seat
Posted by: David Janes (---)
Date: September 18, 2023 06:42PM

I am building a 3 wt and this is the first time I'm using a real seat with a wood insert. My question is about fitting the seat. Generally I use foam arbors and ream them to the size and shape of the blank. Do you do the same with wood ones? I have seen a video or two where the bore on the seat requires tape arbors and fitted from the butt of the rod. I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First wood fly rod seat
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.sayneoita.com)
Date: September 18, 2023 06:59PM

Hi David,
You should have ordered (or can order) the bore of the wood insert to be the closest to the OD of the blank.
If you order the bore of the insert's ID to be larger than the OD of the blank - you will have to bush the insert a little.
If you order the bore of the insert a little smaller than the blank OD - you will have to ream the insert a little.

Don't forget that the wood, especially if stabilized, is much harder than cork to ream.
No foam arbor is needed.
Regards,
Herb
CTS

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2023 07:05PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2023 08:23PM

What is the bore size of the wood insert, and the OD of the blank?

If it is not much of a difference you can use Size D thread to make arbors or the mesh drywall tape, cut into thin strips. Super glue will give you a good “tack” point for the drywall tape.

Personally, I’d shy away from using masking tape, lots of folks use it, but I’ve done my fair share of repairs on reel seats where it was used and not enough epoxy was used to encapsulate the arbor and they broke down over time.

If your wood insert bore diameter is smaller than the blank, easy enough to ream out a bit depending on species of wood. Tread lightly here, easy enough to spit an insert also.

Posted by: David Janes (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2023 01:44PM

Thanks guys, much appreciate it. I miss measured by just a little, so don't have to remove too much material.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster