I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Built a PB691MXF & PB691MLXF and the ML "feels" more powerful
Posted by: Patrick Coco (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 11, 2023 03:53PM

I built 2 Point Blank rods side by side, 1 on the PB691MXF blank and another on the PB691MLXF blank with identical 8" handle length (to bottom of reel seat) and identical guide train (Fuji RV6 with Fuji Alconite size 5 KB and KT guides).

When comparing the completed rods side by side, the ML "feels" both faster and more powerful. I also asked my brother to compare the rods with no knowledge of the blanks and he identified the ML as the more powerful rod.

I double checked butt diameters just above the butt grip to make sure I didn't mix them up during the build, and I'm certain that I did not do that.

Is there a good explanation for why this would be the case? Based on CCS data, the blanks are fairly similar, but I'd think the power would be obvious when comparing side by side.

What am I missing here? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Built a PB691MXF & PB691MLXF and the ML "feels" more powerful
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: September 11, 2023 04:09PM

Two ways to find out, put a heavy weight on both, cast them and see what's up, or you could CC them.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 12, 2023 07:55AM

You don't even have to do the complete CCS process to determine relative power, just hang the same weight from both rods. But complete CCS data will answer the questions.

When you get the data then you can confidently select the right rod for the job at hand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2023 07:57AM by Michael Danek.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2023 10:41AM

Are you sure you didn’t get them mixed up? I have measured by CCS and built both of these PB rod blanks and the PB691MXF is definitely more powerful than the PB691MLXF, with both having very similar action angles.
Norm

Posted by: Patrick Coco (---)
Date: September 12, 2023 01:01PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure you didn’t get them mixed up? I
> have measured by CCS and built both of these PB
> rod blanks and the PB691MXF is definitely more
> powerful than the PB691MLXF, with both having very
> similar action angles.
> Norm

I measured the blank diameters just above the butt grip (using split grips) and the one that is perceived as "heavier" powered has the thinner butt diameter. Based on the PB published data, I assume this is the ML and based on my records during the build (they have slightly different grips to help distinguish them) this lines up with what it being the ML.

I'll rough up a testing station today or tomorrow and do a deflection test of sorts to confirm or deny my claims.

Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 12, 2023 01:28PM

The butt diameters for both of these blanks are almost the same, there is less than a tenth of a millimeter difference between them.. Plus they have an equiradius butt for the first 12” - 14”. So, the butt sections of theses blanks are very similar, and the difference between them probably not enough to definitively identify one from the other.
Norm

Posted by: Ray Morrison (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 12, 2023 02:03PM

Did you measure the weight as you were building these?

The ML blank weight per the PB website is 1.58 oz and the Med is 1.76 oz

Since they were built the same, the weight might help you figure out if you mixed them up.

Date: September 12, 2023 02:05PM

I setup a CCS station and got an IP of 612 for the M and 538 for the ML. Action angles based on my phone app appear to be in the mid to high 70s for both: 76-78 degrees.

I dont understand why the ML would feel faster and more powerful in hand then. And why an independent and unbiased observer would come to the same conclusion. Strange.

I'll trust the numbers and get them out fishing soon.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 12, 2023 07:36PM

Patrick, I find this thread to be very interesting. Please continue it after you've fished the rods. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.alma.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 13, 2023 05:33AM

I think this shows how unreliable "feel" can be. My conclusion is that with modern graphite blanks I cannot tell much of anything about them by wiggling/bending against carpet/other tricks. Unless the differences are pretty big.

But CCS doesn't lie, and the more powerful rod will handle bigger fish better and will cast heavier lures better. And conversely, it will not load on the cast as well with the lighter lures that cast well with the lower power rod.

Date: September 13, 2023 10:15AM

Fished both rods side by side this morning. First with a compact 3/8oz spinnerbait (.53oz actual weight) with colorado blades and then with an Owner Cultiva Zippin Ziggy walking topwater bait (.28oz actual weight).

The PB691MLXF did a better job casting the topwater and walked the bait more easily. It also felt the load/deflected more from a spinnerbait than the M.

So contrary to what we felt in hand with the rods, the ML fishes about like I originally expected it to when I ordered the blank and the M does as well.

Apparently what they felt like in hand was just incorrect. Still don't have an explanation for it. Looks like I'll be going with CCS data from now on...

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.44.66.72.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 13, 2023 08:41PM

THX Patrick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster