I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick grip & cork removal
Posted by: DAVID BIEG (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 11, 2023 11:13AM

I have a great 2pc 5wt glass Fenwick in terrific shape that I picked up last year ... but the grip has ridges/ripples from not being properly dried. Sanding didn't change the feel for my liking.. I wanted to replace the cork and save the lock-up seat (hooded under cork) and try to do both from butt up.

I tried the boiling water technique with not a budge. Did Fenwick use a special glue on those seats/corks? How do I break the adhesion on seat & cork(after prying off cork)?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick grip & cork removal
Posted by: Norman Miller (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2023 12:14PM

Why not replace the grip from the tip down? This would involve removing a couple of guides and the hook keeper, but would make replacing the grip very easy. Just slide the new grip in place and rewrap the guides. Fenwick used Gudebrod NCP chestnut brown for the thread wraps. There are current threads available that match this Gudebrod thread color. Removing a few guides is much easier than removing the reel seat. If needed just rewrap the rod.
Norm

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: September 11, 2023 02:16PM

Replace all of it, save time , [ lots ] only try to save it if that is the only thing that will work ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Ron Weber (---)
Date: September 12, 2023 08:16AM

To start with cork is an insulator so the boiiing nor most heat applications are not going to be successful

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---)
Date: September 15, 2023 05:07AM

Norm's suggestion is not only the easiest and best resolution, it's also the sanest.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: September 15, 2023 03:55PM

To remove a cork grip, do the following:

1. Take a pair of slip joint pliers , and using the pliers in its extended position, chew the cork off the blank.

2. Then,with the use of heat to soften and a razor blade held at right angles to the blank scrape any residual cork off the blank. The heat will soften and the razor blade will quickly remove any remaining cork and or glue from the blank. Then, use 100 grit up to 600 grit to smooth the blank. and then replace it all - by removing guides as needed before replacing the grip.

Best wishes

Posted by: Ladd Flock (---.lightspeed.austtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 15, 2023 08:53PM

A google search for - Fenwick Grip 7" (No Inlet) - will give you options for the replacement.

Posted by: Chris Catignani (---)
Date: September 16, 2023 08:22AM

I use Rogers technique above...
1. Take a pair of slip joint pliers , and using the pliers in its extended position, chew the cork off the blank.

But after that I will take a dull bladed knife and just scrape off the remaining cork.
You can also get an idea of what kind of glue they used and if it (glue) is coming off easily from the blank.

If it does come off easy...you may be able to just give the reel seat a good twist and it may release.
If it doesnt...then I would go to the Drimmel cut off wheel for the reel seat..

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 17, 2023 08:57PM

A friend of mine and fellow rod builder who recently passed away, got good at removing and replace deeply gouged cork rings and replacing rather than the whole grip.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: September 18, 2023 09:06AM

Hello All.

Here is a little light reading for you on grips, there is a lot more too.

Volume/Issue.....Article.................Author.................Page.
21/3 Grip Repair, Cork, Precision. By Ted Huff. 12
16/3 Grip Repair; Quick Cork Replacement. By Tom Kirkman. 24
19/3 Grips: Easy Cork Grip Removal. 10

Have Fun!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster