I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass swimbait rods help
Posted by: Raymond Mckean Jr (---)
Date: July 20, 2023 12:53PM

I have only built a few rods so far and now I have a friend that would like me to build a swimbait rods for 2-8 oz lures. I don't fish swimsuits and have no experience throwing anything that heavy. As I'm getting started I'm building rods at cost for friends and family and he has given me $175 budget for this. His biggest concern is durability as he has had a few rods break on hook set. I'm sure he underspeced them and that was the cause. I found the C276XHF from rod geeks at 89 and think that will be ok but I haven't built any rood geek blanks so I'm not sure. As to the rest of the build can any one give me any tips on where to spend and focus that remaing money? He is using 50lb braided line on a Calcutta reel if that helps. Thank you for your time

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass swimbait rods help
Posted by: Robert Sunjara (---)
Date: July 20, 2023 03:11PM

Some things to ask/consider:

What kinds of lures is he typically fishing? Treble hooks or soft baits? This will help determine the rod blank. Typically treble hook baits are fished on more moderate blanks, especially with straight braid. I’d probably prefer a moderate blank for all types of baits with straight braid myself.

Is he fishing straight braid or a leader connection that will pass through the guides? This will help determine the guide sizes.

What kind of handle does he like? EVA? EVA with shrink? Split grip or full rear grip? Does he want a foregrip at all? Typically the rear handle is at least as long as to touch the angler’s elbow when he’s holding the reel. Sometimes people like them even longer.

I have only built a handful of rodgeeks blanks so I can’t speak to that particular blank. I’d ask him what his favorite most common lure he intends to fish on this rod and try and select a weight range that suits that well but has enough beef to be able to handle larger baits he intends to throw as well.

Posted by: Daryl Ferguson (107.115.203.---)
Date: July 20, 2023 03:52PM

Raymond, I built my nephew a swimbait rod using that exact RodGeeks blank and he loves it. Definitely think you’ll be happy with that blank.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2023 06:20PM

I definitely agree with Robert .... if this is a rod for bass, and you'll be using straight braid, meaning no leader, I'd be looking for a mod fast or moderate action blank. Braid is unforgiving, and when you're talking a 2 - 8 oz bait, you want to eliminate the possibility of slack line while fighting a fish.

Posted by: Michael Tarr (---)
Date: July 21, 2023 02:24PM

The diagram is Fuji’s recommendation for 7’6” heavy power rods.

Date: July 21, 2023 04:57PM

A good guide train in either the Fuji K series, as mentioned, or the LZR model C guides would be either
12, 10, 8, 6s
12, 10, 8s
Or 10, 8, 6s if you want to stay lighter

[mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Les Cline (---)
Date: July 22, 2023 03:30PM

1.) If your buddy says he is breaking rods on the hook set....listen to him. Manage your warranty - if you offer one at all.

2.) Keep the reel seat basic (Fuji TCSM size 18 plus foam arbor).

3.) Keep guide train basic (the CRB's from Mudhole are a good value: CRB Double Foot Spin/Cast Guide - Model DF for butt guide (#10) and (#6 reduction); CRB spin/cast running guides - model RNG size #5, 5.5, or 6; CRB Light/Medium duty spin & cast tops - Model LT, size to match running guides.

4.) Keep thread basic to one color plus a metallic (to save you time from any fancy butt wraps or fade wraps or multiple color wraps)

5.) Keep grips basic: Split grips are easier to ream to fit because you do not need a long reamer for a one-piece grip; however, split grips are not as comfortable in "under the arm" retrieving and fishing larger sb's.The Mudhole Super Grade Shaped Rear Casting Grip (cork) 14" can be cut in half with a razor knife or fine-tooth saw, and each piece reamed to fit the blank, glued on, and touch-sanded. around $20. A 14" Carbon Fiber one-piece is around $34 and easy to ream.

My take.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster