I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning vs Casting Build for New NFC C602 and X-Ray Blank
Posted by: Joe Boenish (207.71.136.---)
Date: June 28, 2023 11:52AM

Trying to figure out what I want to do with two NFC blanks I have sitting in the basement. One is the new SJ-703-1 C602 blank (1/4 - 3/4 Ex-fast) and the other is a MB-733-1 (1/8 - 3/8 Fast).

I was planning to build one of them as a spinning walleye jigging rod, mostly freestyle jigs 1/4 - 1/2 oz. and maybe even some lighter marabou jigs. The other would be for baitcasting light Texas rigs and creature plastics.

I lean toward the using the C602 blank for the spinning set-up and the MB for light baitcasting but wanted to get others opinions. I'd really like to avoid any regrets with the C602 blank given the price now.

Thanks for the input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning vs Casting Build for New NFC C602 and X-Ray Blank
Posted by: David Baylor (---.res6.spectrum.com)
Date: June 28, 2023 03:30PM

Going strictly by the CCS numbers for each blank, With an IP of 351 grams, and an AA of 77, I would definitely build SJ 703 C6O2 blank as a spinning rod.

As far as the MB 733 X ray blank goes. With an IP of 438 and an AA of 78, I personally would build it as a spinning rod as well. But that's just me. If I were going to be Texas rigging anything on the MB 733, I would be sure that the baits are made with soft soft plastic, and that they were more slender bodied baits. Roboworm makes a sweet little 4 1/2" curl tail worm. I'd also be using lighter wire hooks. On thin bodied baits like the Roboworm mentioned, I use a standard 1/0 Owner straight shank worm hook. It has their cutting point, and is fairly light wire but plenty strong for the situations you'd be using it in with a rod of that power. It's an awesome hook.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2023 03:55PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Roger-Huffman (---)
Date: June 29, 2023 11:11PM

Joe, I have both blanks but have only built on the MB 733. Some blanks are special, this is one. I put a little Curado 70 on it with #20 braid and using a 1/2 oz casting plug throwing alongside my dock so I can judge the distance it gets 200' plus or minus about 10'. It feels really nice loading and is the most sensitive rod I've ever used. This afternoon I threw a couple of jigs to give you some numbers. An 1/8 oz jig head with a small (DOA) plastic tail would go 90'. A 1/4 oz head with the same tail gets 160'. For what it's worth the lighter lure just didn't feel right on that rod. It did not load well and accuracy suffered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2023 07:59AM by Roger-Huffman.

Posted by: Alex Wood (---)
Date: June 30, 2023 08:31AM

I would build the SJ 703 as a spinning rod. I have it and its one of my favorite for bottom contact up to 1/4 oz. I would say it excels at 1/8-3/16oz lures. 1/4 oz is on the heavier side of lures it will handle. I know it says its rated for more but I dont know where they got that rating from. I built my 703 with Soft touch grips on a VSS reel seat, and used titanium SiC KL-H guides and REC CEREC guides at the running guides. Its by far one of my favorite rods to use because of how light and sensitive it is.

Posted by: Joe Boenish (---.ip.casscomm.com)
Date: June 30, 2023 10:11AM

Thanks guys, this confirms what I was thinking. Going with spinning for the 703 and a lite casting build for the MB-733. I think the 703 would excel with marabou/bucktail jigs and the 733 will be nice for some smaller 1/4 oz. texas rigs with mini lizards and worms. I'm sure the MB733 could do the same thing as a spinning but I think the action will allow for a casting setup which I much prefer for distance control when I'm casting to banks and docks. Good to hear builders are having good results with both blanks.

I think I'm going to try the Seaguide TiXO series guides for the 703, but this has me wondering about the REC CEREC guides Alex used. I'll have to look at those too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster